Sharron L. McElmeel  wrote:

" But then wouldn't a Nurse Practitioner who can see patients and prescribe
medication, and order tests etc. be legitimately a doctor -- as what can a
doctor do that a NPR can not do?"

I can address this a bit.  My husband is a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse
Anesthetist).  He primarily does the exact same job as a MDA (Medical Doctor
of Anesthesia) and has functioned on his own for most of his 30 years in the
profession.  Often he was the only anesthesia provider in the hospital.
There are differences.....

As a CRNA he NEVER prescribes medication.  He consults with the surgeon who
official prescribes and confirms the medication that my husband selects and
delivers.

I liken this more to the library assistant who has received formal training
in the field.  Some may have a MLIS others may have been trained
specifically to be a "paraprofessional."  They function in very competent,
professional ways, making long term and immediate decisions based upon
training and education.

In no way does the demand for a LIBRARIAN       demean the library
assistant.  Just as the MDAs & surgeons who work with my husband treat him
with respect and acknowledge his experience and knowledge.

The librarian has a unique roll of overseeing the library and working in
tandem with teachers (as the MDAs and CRNAs do).  They have a responsibility
that cannot be replaced.  The family practitioner doesn't replace the
surgeon.  The teacher doesn't replace the librarian.  The nurse practioner
doesn't work in isolation.  The library assistant should not work in
isolation either, but with a librarian.

Bene e Pace (Blessings and Peace),
Paula Laurita
St. John the Baptist Catholic School

We have found that a library is not an end in itself, but a means to many
ends.
Charles E. Rush, 1939