Hi, Theresa and others who might be considering NBPTS Certification,

The accomplishments you should be documenting for your National Board
Entries are things you have been doing, that can go back as long as
the previous 5 years, rather than thinking of something new to do for
the National Board process.  You need to have several accomplishments
that show your contributions to our profession as a learner, as a
leader, and as a collaborator, as well as connections to students,
their families, and the community. It is really not just a case of
"doing your community project."

  My recommendation would be to do two things.  First, download the
portfolio instructions from the NBPTS website (under Candidate
Resources) and read through the whole thing.  Yes, it is very long,
but it will help you determine whether your practice includes
activities that are valued as part of your entries.  Then look at
what accomplishments you can document. Do you have programs from
workshops you taught? Letters of appreciation from colleagues or
parents thanking you for something that impacted students? E-Mails
that could be used to verify some professional development in which
you participated that show your involvement as a learner?  Only when
you can come up with "clear, consistent, and convincing" evidence, in
writing, are you ready to apply for National Board Certification.

You will very likely have this in your files already, but not
everyone does, and without it your are going to put in a lot of
effort without being able to succeed because of a lack of documentation.

The experience of working towards National Board Certification was
the most rigorous professional development and self-evaluation in
which I have ever participated.  For anyone considering the attempt,
I would say that you should check on what is required and then go for
it.  Plan on having it pretty much take over your life for much of a
year, but you will be left with a wonderful feeling of
accomplishment, as well as a new way of looking at your profession.

I will be happy to correspond with anyone who has specific questions
to ask about the program or the process