Thanks so much to everyone who sent me information and recommendations! If only I
had known about LM_NET before I had a nightmare semester at a University that is on
the World Heritage list (no, it wasn't the Taj Mahal).

All costs are for non-residents.

1. Several people recommended U/WISC at Stout
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/courses.shtml#library
several interesting classes (Digital Classroom sounded very appealing), website
very user-friendly, 3 hour class $900
Nicole Sette also said, about my cataloguing question ("Do I have to?"): "PS - I
didn't take a real cataloging class either and I couldn't be happier. I buy all of
my books preprocessed and cataloged."
Joan Vandervelde, Program Coordinator, sent me a really helpful email. Here is one
class that sounds very helpful, in light of our school system's emphasis on
Inquiry-Based Learning:

NEW - Digital Classroom: Teaching Information Literacy
This course focuses on the integration of primary resources and information
literacy with K-12 curriculum. Pedagogical and constructivist considerations
including rationale for using primary sources to stimulate inquiry, creativity and
higher order thinking, formulating research queries, creating engaged learning
activities, evaluating information resources, teaching students research
strategies, and planning partnership activities with libraries and museums.
EDUC 744 951 - 3 cr. hrs. begins June 19, 2006

2. University of Washington
lots of offerings, from the typical (Collection Dev.) to the technical (Programming
for Information...) to the intellectual.
3 hour class $1251
LM_NET'er Jo Lewis said their cataloguing class was a good one.

3.Teacherline courses from PBS.
http://teacherline.pbs.org/teacherline/modules/courseList.cfm?subjectgl=current
Lots of choices, but pricing is complicated. In some cases, a discount if your
school participates in a certain consortium. I chose Virginia and it mentioned
"C.I.I./WHRO" consortium - another one of those unfortunate website flaws, where if
you don't already know what it means, it isn't explained (or not on the same page).
$199 for 2 credit hour classes but to get graduate credit, add:
    $130 for a 2 hour class with graduate credit from Adams Univ. or
    $453.10 for a 2 hour class with graduate credit from U/Ind Bloomington
LM_NET'er Shirley Lukenbill from Univ. of Texas (Hook'em!) said they have classes
in "Reading and Language Arts, technology, and instructional strategies.

4. Mansfield University
http://summer.mansfield.edu/subjects/Library-Science.html
several appealing choices
$1655 for 3 hour graduate class
LM_NET'er Jim Furiosi recommends their classes.

5. Rutgers Online
http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/programs/pds/Summer2006Credit.jsp
$2050.10 for 3 hour graduate class
LM_NET'ers Suzanne Martin and Brenda Kahn in NJ has been very happy with their
classes, including (Brenda) cert. in Ch. Lit and cert in Ed. Tech.

6. East Carolina University
http://lsit.coe.ecu.edu/summer06.htm
$1905 for 3 hour graduate class

7. University of Delaware
 $1104 for 3 hour graduate class - this is the resident cost, but most
non-residents qualify for this rate
LM_NET'er Pat Bartoshesky of Wilmington said, "Allison Kaplan, at the University of
Delaware gives an excellent cataloging class."

8. Texas Women's University
couldn't find a course list - 404 message - this should change as Summer 06
approaches
$1650 for non-res. 3 hour graduate class

9. University of South Carolina
http://www.libsci.sc.edu/Schedules/summer2006.htm

10 Univ. of Missouri-Columbia
Easy to understand website
 Many choices - Love the sound of the seminar on Designing Computer Supported
Collaborative Learning, but it's a doctoral class.
http://sislt.missouri.edu/search_results.php
$660 per 3 hour graduate class
LM_NET'er Barb Parfitt in PA recommended their Children's Lit. class

11. Univ. Of North Texas (Go, Eagles!)
one of the biggies in online delivery, lots of award-winning Professors (Hi, Dr.
Totten!)LM_NET'er Mari Ferguson says they have lots of good classes.
Storytelling for Information Professionals - highly recommended by students.
$960 - $1050 per 3 hour graduated class
http://www.untecampus.com/default.cfm?pfile=searchresult.cfm&dept=5&SECTION_SEMESTER=Summer&SECTION_YEAR=2006&submit=BROWSE

12.Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
http://eduscapes.com/iupui/summer06.htm
1 course and 1 workshop - teachers sound amazing
 $2327 for a 3 hour graduate online class

I also received a friendly email from Edith Cowan University in Perth, Australia,
but when I checked out the website, I forgot that their summer starts after October!

Melissa Techman, MLS
Broadus Wood Elementary School,
185 Buck Mtn. Rd,
Earlysville, VA 22901