Hello all,

I need help. I am looking for a list of books for 3rd grade that have
similar themes. The state of Oklahoma's PASS objectives ask students to
recognize themes that occur across literary works, and the objective is
tested by having students read 2 stories and answering a multiple choice
question about the theme shared by both stories.

I thought this would be easy.

Alas, looking up picture books by the underlying theme is just not easy
in any database that I've found. I can find all sorts of lists of books
of different "themes"  (really subject) like winter, holidays, snow,
etc. (must have winter on the brain.) But I can't find a list of books
that have a similar theme  similar to "haste makes waste" or "good
prevails over evil" or "time waits for no one" (especially a librarian
on a deadline!).

Here's what I've done so far:

Looked in Book Links, both online and in hand.

Looked in Google, Ebsco, and anything else I could think of for
"comparing themes in childrens literature."

Looked in the book _Transforming Storytimes into Reading and Writing
Lessons_ at the chapter on literary elementas, and at the lesson plan
for teaching theme.

Looked at the Carol Hurst website and retrieved a list of books. Found a
list of themes on Scholastic Parent magazine website. And searched
Trackstar to see if anyone else was making this list.

I will, of course, post a hit, if you would only send me a pair ( or
two) of picture books that have a similar theme.

Linda Walkup

Library Media Resource Teacher/Trainer

Tulsa Public Schools

918-925-1150