Dear Netters,

Happy New Year!  I only had a couple of responses to my request for ideas but
several asked me to share whatever I came up with so I hope some of you may find
something useful and fun amongst the following information:

From Karen DeFrank:
how about a look alike contest
or see who can recite the most of his phrases, like a bird in hand is worth two in
a bush....

From Katherine Martinez:
Things that celebrate the colonial period?  Like Colonial Williamsburg
or Other living history museums

http://caxton.stockton.edu/AWM/stories/storyReader$18 has stories of
colonial Philadelphia
You could have a reproduction of the liberty bell, Poor Richard's
Almanac and the constitution
Declaration of Independence

http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/colonial.htm has colonial resources for
K - 12

American Doll - Felicity is set in colonial times and has suggestions
for crafts from the era

Crafts & Arts -
Building kites from paper, wood dowels & string?
Writing with quill pens?  Having to dip in an ink pot

Playing with colonial toys?
Hoop & Stick, Rag dolls, Carved wooden toys like Noah's ark, Marbles,
Dice,

Food - cider, biscuits, sugar cookies, punches like orangade or
limonade,  tea, toast with the crust cut off, jam cookies,

From Nancy:
Look at this and see if you think you can use it. And thanks for bringing
this anniversary to my attention!
http://sln.fi.edu/franklin/printer/abc.html

From Marci:

Hello!  I have BIG plans for the birthday of my favorite historical genius.
I am attaching a scavenger hunt...  it's for fifth grade, but it would be
fine for middle school.  I plan on showing a powerpoint presentation on his
life, and generating some word finds, magic squares (along with the book Ben
Franklin and the Magic Squares) and crossword puzzles.  I also want to hang
kites and keys from the ceiling...  I am also planning on using the July 7,
2003 issue of Time that features articles like why Ben was a "Babe Magnet!"
If I have time, I want to use the filimentality website to make a webquest
or hotlist for students in the lab.

Here's some ideas I have gathered - I am  still in the process of brainstorming &
my "benergy" level is not the best yet at only having returned to school from the
holidays. Sometimes I feel like I'm 300!

You can peruse all the neat exhibits/events, etc. being held in Philly!  All kinds
of activities/lesson plans/ teacher guides for all grade levels to print from this
site!  Also an essay contest.
http://www.benfranklin300.org

I plan to have students participate in a global coin flipping probability activity
through the Franklin Institute!  You can just print out a data recording sheet from
their site and send results in on January 17th.  I contacted them today@
webteam@www.fi.edu about rules and they replied there is no special conditions, no
limit to how many students.

Discuss meanings of Ben's proverbs, design illustrations for them, publish signs to
post around school, create personal proverbs?
http://www.sln.fi.edu/franklin/printer/abc.html

Design geometric kites in Math to hang
Build "inventions" to display - recycle materials
Models of electricity science fair type products
Activity with Odometers?
Wear wigs, glasses or swim fins:-)
Discuss Patriot Act and current legislation "They that give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety"- BF
Conduct web searches on Franklin for places and/or things named after him & create
a poster/mural
I have a student who has a video game with Franklin as a character in it - he
showed it to me online and BF is even flying a patriotic flag! - I can't wait to
see if he can come up with a product of his research to contribute to our library
displays!
Correspond with a school with Franklin in it's name - we may try to communicate
with Franklin, MA (first city in America named after BF)
Timelines of Ben's achievements before, during, and after the Revolution
Research Ben's connections with France.  Was he more respected there than in
America?
Invite a spokesperson for an electric company to speak with students or make a
presentation
Create a bottle armonica - have music students demonstrate - The Electric Ben
Franklin @ http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/fun/bottles.htm
Using Ben's Epitaph - "The body of B. Franklin, Printer (Like the Cover of an Old
Book Its Conte ts torn out and stript of its Lettering and Gilding) Lies Here, Food
for Worms, But the work shall not be lost, For it will (as he believ'd) appear once
more in a New and More Elegant Editionn Revised and Corrected by the Author" -
create others
http://www.sln.fi.edu/franklin/timeline/epitaph.html
Set up a "Print Shop" in the Library - either old fashioned letter stamps
or..invite personnel from a local print shop or newspaper office to meet with
students.
Have a birthday party with cupcakes!

Here are a few links to peruse - sorry if some are repeated
http://www.webenglishteacher.com/franklin.html

Lesson Plans
http://school.discovery.com/lessonplans/programs/benfranklintimeline/index.html

Autobiography
http://eserver.org/books/franklin/

Virtues Log Lesson Plan
http://www.lessonplanspage.com/SSLABenFranklinsVirtues-NewFor21stCenturyHS.htm

The Electric Ben Franklin
http://www.ushistory.org/franklin/

Proverbs
http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=185

Makiing Friends with Franklin (L.A., Science, Visual Arts)
http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/educators/lesson_plans/franklin/start.html

Rediscovering America:  The Real Ben Franklin
http://school.discovery.com/lessonplans/programs/realbenfranklin/index.html

The World of Ben Franklin
http://school.discovery.com/lessonplans/programs/realbenfranklin/index.html

Ben Franklin Scavenger Hunt