Thanks again to this lovely group for your help. Here are the responses to
my question about copyright requirements for the music I plan to use in a
video that will be shown at graduation. I should mention that I went to the
Harry Fox web site and found that they no longer do the synch licensing. You
have to go to each publisher separately.

You'll need to contact BMI or ASCAP to determine who is the copyright holder
and
who represents them. I printed just the lyrics of songs for "class song" in
our
yearbooks (a few schools ago) and that cost $75 for 500 copies of the book
(for
one song).

Web addresses www.ascap.com or www.bmi.com (I did an archive search to find
these, I did not check links)

-------------------------------------

Playing it at graduation constitutes a public performance and permission
would
be required.

You need a synch license to do what you propose. If you can identify the
song, no usage can be short enough to qualify for fair use in a public
performance. You might be able to qualify for an educational exemption
if you are using the music for instructional purposes in a class, but it
is unlikely that this use would qualify.

To get permission, you go through the Harry Fox Agency. They do not
grant gratis permission, but will tell you what the charge will be to
use the works.

--------------------------------------

Because this is a public performance not limited to direct face-to-face
teaching, you are not exempt under fair use.  You must request permission to
use the music.  Don't be shocked if permission is denied.  Explanations and
contact information is available in the following document:
http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/pdf/Using%20Recorded%20Music-Legally.pdf
Good luck!

Marsha Redd
Librarian, Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com
Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a student.
Everyone is a teacher.