I'm trying to get the courage up to do something I've long dreamed of: spend a
summer in Britain, perhaps taking a course affiliated with a university.   I have
lead student groups to England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland on  different school
trips, but I'd like to go beyond the "45-minute stop at Westminster Abbey"
experience and really explore the country without 30 teenagers in tow!

I'm a former English teacher turned librarian, so anything in those fields would
interest me, but I'm looking for a class that allows a great deal of time to
explore the countryside and sites of interest, particularly castles and literary
landmarks.  I am willing to live in a dorm, but do not want to spend a great amount
of time in a classroom setting, nor do I care to write papers or sit for a lot of
exams.  I'm already maxxed out with salary credits according to our contract (M+60
is as high as we go), so the actual college credit is not important to me.  I want
to spend a minimum of four weeks traveling around the area (London? Oxford?
Stratford? Edinburg?) learning about the literary, cultural, and historical
significance of places we visit.  It sounds as if I should just sign up for a
guided tour, but I really would like to learn about their educational system,
libraries, and general English lit, and the tours I have gone on tend to be
superficial overviews.

Have any of you participated in a summer study program in Britain that you would
recommend?  I have been searching the web for summer programs, but I would prefer
to pick one based on your recommendations, rather than just taking a shot in the
dark.  If you have had a great experience with one of these programs, either in
Britain or even in Europe, please send me the details.  I may already be too late
to apply.

Thanks for any experiences or recommendations you can share!
                                            Bonnie

||          Bonnie Fulmer, | Librarian                       ||
||               Spackenkill | High School                  ||
||               112 Spack- | enkill Road                    ||
||           Poughkeepsie | NY 12603                      ||
||               voice: (845) | 463-7810                       ||
||                  fax: (845) | 463-7817                       ||
||           Bonnie.Fulmer@spackenkillschools.org  ||