Marcie (and fellow Netters),

Just because it's a Newbery winner does NOT automatically make it appropriate for
all elementary libraries. Sadly, I've noticed a trend recently to award Newbery
Winner and Honor awards to middle-school age books (which is the committee's
prerogative), even though there are other awards (Prinze comes to mind) that target
that age group. When I read the reviews (and comments posted to LM_NET) for Kira
Kira, I decided not to order it, and I kept my Newbery poster (courtesy of Follett
every year) up for two years, so kids wouldn't ask for the new winner.

You need to think about what is appropriate for your community and school,
according to your mission statement and established selection policies. I would
recommend reading several reviews for any book you're not sure of. Learn to "read
between the lines." I learned a while back that if the review said "gritty," it had
inappropriate language or goings-on for my school. (That book was just loaded with
glowing reviews, by the way!). It had profanity on practically every page but the
story was a good one, just not right for our campus. I worked at a K - 8 at the
time but sent it on to the H.S. with a note enclosed for the librarian there (a
friend of mine) to read it and decide on her own if it was right for their school.
On the other hand, that book might have been very appropriate for an inner-city
middle school in which those situations and language were common place.

Please don't censor any words from the books! A good author chooses every word
carefully. Do remind teachers gently that TO ALTER THE BOOK IS AN INFRINGEMENT OF
THE AUTHOR'S RIGHT TO HAVE THE BOOK READ IN ITS ORIGINAL, INTENDED FORM. If the
book is too "gritty," pack it off to the middle school or H.S. library (I've done
this several times with donations). I'm now at a K - 6 site. I need to order a
certain number of books that appeal to higher level 5th and 6th grade readers;
however, I'm very selective and scrutinize reviews for those books extra carefully.

I've often said to teachers or parents that books need to have authentic language.
I would not consider withdrawing a book based on a few instances of "gritty" words
or situations. Would we expect a gang banger or a pirate to use polite language?
"Pardon me ma'am, but would ye mind walkin' the plank?" just doesn't ring true,
does it? On the other hand, when authors use gratuitous profanity (etc.) just to
sell books, I'll leave it to those kids who want them to buy on their own or borrow
from the public library. As a taxpayer, I expect my peers in libraries across the
nation to select for quality in addition to popularity, just as I do. Isn't that
what distinguishes us from the nonprofessional? And if a new(er) book DOES NOT meet
your reasonable expectation based on reading of several reviews prior to ordering,
contact the vendor or publisher's rep. Usually something (a credit or exchange) can
be worked out. Under those circumstances I don't believe it is necessary to add or
keep it in the collection. (ALA may boot me for this one, but that's my two cents
worth!). No matter how extensive our education or experience level, some
acquisitions just turn out to be "wrong" despite our best prior research. Let's be
honest about it and "do the right thing."

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.