Thanks to all who sent me information--this will be
really helpful!

My large suburban district uses a state mandated
guideline of $9 per student up to 500 students and
then it's $4.50 per student above 500.  Our staffing
guidelines come from the state also.  We have 21
elementary schools, 5 junior highs, and 2 high
schools.  Each school has one full-time LMS, except
the high schools which have 2 full-time LMS.  Each
secondary school (7) has 1 full-time library
assistant, and elementary schools over 500 have
1/2-time assistant.

I know your school is smaller, but our district
follows state guidelines that I know many small,
independent districts follow, too.

My school enrollment is small in our district, and my
annual budget begins at about $3600 for books,
periodicals and software.  Almost always these
purchase choices are mine to make, so I spend 80% on
books each year.  Also, I have book fair money to
spend, gifts from local business and sometimes grants
or other state money.  The average spending on library
books, periodicals and software over the last 5 years
at my school has been about $5200.  It is small, but
adequate to most of our needs.  Equipment is a whole
different story and much more complicated to acquire.

Good luck with accreditation.
*****

In Oklahoma, state schools have the following formula:
Fewer than 500 students:  $9 per student

500-999:  $4,500 for the first 500 plus $5 per student
above 500

1000 to 1999:  $7,000 for the first 1000 students plus
$4 per student
above
1000

2000 plus:  $11,000 for the first 2000 plus $3 per
student above 2000
*****

I am in the Boise (Idaho) School district, where
secondary librarians
get $10.00 per student for all library supplies,
books, databases, etc,
etc.  This budget has not changed in many, many years.
 From my
experiences with other librarians around the state, we
get as much or
more than most districts.  The rural districts
sometimes get nothing.
Sad, but true.

*****
I am at a small school of about 175 students.  My
yearly budget is
about
$22.85 per student for books ($4000) and about $5.71
per student for
magazines ($1000).  Media is handled by Technology
Coordinator, so I
don't
have figures on that budget.

******
Sarah, we are a small but well-funded school district
and our schools
are
all funded at this level:
For AV materials (per school) - $6.00 per student
For Periodicals (per school) - $6.00 per student
For Library Books (per school) - $10.00 per student

I hope this helps your process.

*****
high school of 620 ADA - books & media: $15,200
                                 periodicals:     3,000
*****

Sarah

Sarah Milligan, Librarian/English teacher
Summit Preparatory School
Kalispell, MT
hermia_mnd@yahoo.com

Just $16.99/mo. or less.