In some districts (and states) it is against the fire code to have an open flame in
any other room except a science lab--and then with special equipment and fire
extinguishers.  I have never used an open flame in any library or school; however,
I have recently been in two schools where teachers were burning candles in their
rooms---and when I asked if it were against fire regulations, they stated, "not if
we aren't caught."

Sad......

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX

"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing
the impossible."
 ~St. Francis of Assisi
sbrisco@fwcds.org
http://www.fwcds.org/campus/libraries/default.asp
>>> Jaime Meadows <jaimem@STHELENS.K12.OR.US> 01/31/06 3:50 PM >>>
A few years ago at an elementary school in my previous district, a
teacher left a candle burning in the computer lab.  She went home and
forgot about the candle.  It burned down and caught fire to papers on
the desk.  The sprinklers went off, drenching the entire computer lab
with 35 brand new computers in it.  After that the district set out an
edict that no candles were allowed in any building. They sent the
janitors around to collect any candles left after a few days.  It was a
serious situation that could have been easily avoided.

Jaime Meadows
St. Helens High School
St. Helens, OR