Last week I had posted an inquiry regarding religion books for elementary
students. Following are the responses to my post. Thanks to all of you who
responded.

I bought some books on Islam and judaism that were from Dorling Kindersley;
the kids like them because they have such great pictures.

You might look at DK for the childrens version of the Koran and  Torah.  I
have gotten some really nice illustrated one of the Bible for  children through
them.  You might look at ZonderKids, TyndaleKids for  children's religious
books.  If you use Ingram or Baker and Taylor to order  books do a subject search
and see what you might discover.

I have worked to build a balanced "religious" section.  I have several  books
and a set of videos.  I am attaching a bibliography from my book  collection
which includes the title of one of the videos and also a pdf from
Schlessinger Media that is the teacher's guide to Buddhism from the Religions of
the
World series.  Schlessinger Media provides online teacher's guides from  most of
their videos and I make the link within my library catalog for easy  access.
You can browse my library catalog at _http://www.follett.moorseschools.com_
(http://www.follett.moorseschools.com/)     Choose Apple Creek Elementary when
you get to this site.  The bibliography  doesn't include much of my Christian
collection because I thought you wanted  other than Christianity (find those by
searching 222-229 call numbers), but I  have included Jewish books in the
bib.  Also, I left out the ancient  mythologies, Greek, Roman and Egyptian, even
though they are part of my  200's.

I take SLJ magazine and they have recently printed features and highlights
of books about religious and cultural diversity.  We use these  materials often
at my school, Pk-6, because the 6th grade curriculum  includes World Culture
study and a few teachers like to share special holiday  observances, too.
Hope this helps.

I just opened a new elementary school last year and we have a nice  selection
of books on religions of the world. We are a Core Knowledge  school and these
support our curriculum very well.

Here's a quickly generated bibliography of some of the titles. I've not
found versions of Koran, Torah...but the titles on this list that tell about
those books are very well done. I will star those....

Barnes, Trevor. The Kingfisher book of religions : festivals,  ceremonies,
and beliefs from around the world. New York : Kingfisher,  1999.

MacDonald, Fiona, 1950- Religion. Broomall, PA :  Mason Crest, 2003.

Maestro, Betsy. The story of religion.  New York : Clarion Books, c1996.

Ganeri, Anita, 1961-  Religious books. Austin, TX : Raintree Steck-Vaughn
Publishers,  2001.

***Brown, Alan, 1944- The Bible and Christianity. by  Alan Brown. North
Mankato, Minn. : Smart Apple Media,  2004.

***Cato, Vivienne. The Torah and Judaism. North  Mankato, Minn. : Smart Apple
Media, 2004.

French, Fiona,  Easter :  with words from the King James Bible. New York :
HarperCollins, c2002.

Bernardin, James, The Christmas story :  from the Gospel according to St.
Luke from the King James Bible. New York :  HarperCollins, c2002.

Wilkinson, Philip. Christianity. New  York : DK Publishing, c2003.

Crossley-Holland, Kevin. How many  miles to Bethlehem?. New York : Arthur A.
Levine Books,  2004.

Wildsmith, Brian. The Easter story. Grand Rapids,  Mich. : Eerdmans Books for
Young Readers, 2000.

Wood, Angela.  Christian church. Milwaukee, WI : Gareth Stevens Pub.,  c2000.

Ganeri, Anita, 1961- Christian festivals throughout the  year. Mankato, Minn.
: Smart Apple Media, c2004.

Lilly,  Melinda. Pilgrim. Vero Beach, Fla. : Rourke,  c2003.

Osborne, Mary Pope. One world, many religions : the  ways we worship. New
York : Knopf, c1996.

Foran, Jill.  Buddha Day. Mankato, MN : Weigl, c2003.

Ganeri, Anita,  1961- Buddhism. Columbus, Ohio : Peter Bedrick Books, 2002,
c2001.

Nh*ât H·anh, Thích. A pebble for your pocket.  Berkeley, Calif. : Parallax
Press, c2001.

Ross, Mandy. Bodh  Gaya : and other Buddhist holy places. Chicago : Raintree,
 c2003.

Aiyengar, Devi S. I am Hindu. New York : PowerKids  Press, 1996.

Ganeri, Anita, 1961- The Ramayana and  Hinduism. North Mankato, Minn. : Smart
Apple Media,  2004.

Ganeri, Anita, 1961- Hindu festivals throughout the  year. North Mankato, MN
: Smart Apple Media, c2004,  c2003.

Gardeski, Christina Mia. Diwali. New York :  Children's Press, c2001.

George, Charles, 1949- What makes me  a Hindu?. San Diego : Kidhaven Press ;
Detroit : Thomson/Gale,  c2004.

Marchant, Kerena. Hindu festival tales. Austin, TX  : Raintree Steck-Vaughn,
2001.

Parker, Victoria. The Ganges :  and other Hindu holy places. Chicago :
Raintree,  c2003.

Parker-Rock, Michelle. Diwali : the Hindu festival of  lights, feasts, and
family. Berkeley Heights, NJ : Enslow Publishers, Inc.,  c2004.

Wood, Angela. Hindu mandir. Milwaukee : Gareth  Stevens Pub., 2000.

Chaikin, Miriam. Angels sweep the desert  floor : Bible legends about Moses
in the wilderness. New York : Clarion  Books, c2002.

Ganeri, Anita, 1961- Jewish festivals throughout  the year. North Mankato, MN
: Smart Apple Media, c2004,  c2003.

Kimmelman, Leslie. Dance, sing, remember : a  celebration of Jewish holidays.
New York : HarperCollins,  c2000.

Marx, David F. Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. New  York : Children's Press,
c2001.

Pirotta, Saviour. Jewish  festival tales. Austin, TX : Raintree Steck-Vaughn,
 c2001.

Pirotta, Saviour. Christian festival tales. Austin,  TX : Raintree
Steck-Vaughn, c2001.

Podwal, Mark H., 1945- A  sweet year : a taste of the Jewish holidays. New
York : Doubleday Book for  Young Readers, c2003.

Ross, Mandy. The Western Wall and other  Jewish Holy Places. Chicago, Ill. :
Raintree, c2003.

Kimmel,  Eric A. Wonders and miracles : a Passover companion. New York :
Scholastic Press, 2004.

Wood, Angela. Jewish synagogue.  Milwaukee, WI : Gareth Stevens Pub., 2000.

Hoyt-Goldsmith, Diane.  Celebrating Ramadan. New York : Holiday House,  c2001.

Wilkinson, Philip, 1955- Islam. New York : Dorling  Kindersley, 2002.

Conover, Sarah. Ayat jamilah = Beautiful  signs : a treasury of Islamic
wisdom for children and parents. Spokane, WA :  Eastern Washington University
Press, 2004.

Marchant, Kerena.  Muslim festival tales. Austin, TX : Raintree Steck-Vaughn,
 c2001.

***Ganeri, Anita, 1961- The Qur'an and Islam.  Mankato, Minn. : Smart Apple
Media, c2004.

Douglass, Susan L.  1950- Ramadan. Minneapolis : Carolrhoda Books,  c2004.

Ganeri, Anita, 1961- Muslim festivals throughout the  year. North Mankato,
Minn. : Smart Apple Media,  c2004.

Gnojewski, Carol. Ramadan : a Muslim time of fasting,  prayer, and
celebration. Berkeley Heights, NJ : Enslow Publishers,  c2004.

Marx, David F. Ramadan. New York : Children's  Press, c2002.

Wood, Angela. Muslim mosque. Milwaukee, WI :  Gareth Stevens Pub., 2000.

Grolier Educational (Firm)  Israel. Danbury, Conn. : Grolier Educational,
c[1997],  2001.

Llewellyn, Claire. Saints and angels. Boston, Mass.  : Kingfisher, 2003.

Sanderson, Ruth. Saints : lives &  illuminations. Grand Rapids, Mich. :
Eerdmans Books for Young Readers,  2003.

Ross, Mandy. Mecca : and other Islamic holy places.  Chicago, IL : Raintree,
2003.

Demi. Buddha. New York :  Holt, c1996.

Carew-Miller, Anna. Buddha. Philadelphia :  Mason Crest Publishers, c2003.

Freedman, Russell. Confucius :  the golden rule. New York : Arthur A. Levine
Books,  c2002.

Wildsmith, Brian. Jesus. Grand Rapids, MI :  Eerdmans Books for Young
Readers, c2000.

Lottridge, Celia Barker  Stories from the life of Jesus : retold from the
Bible. Toronto, Ont. :  Douglas & McIntyre ; Berkeley, CA : Distributed in the
USA by Publishers  Group West, c2004.

Demi. Muhammad. New York : Margaret K.  McElderry Books, c2003.

Stanley, Diane. Saladin : Noble Prince  of Islam. New York : HarperCollins,
c2002.

I have done very well to purchase a few series on religion, my favorite
being a series called Sacred Texts published by Smart Apple Media.   This
series focusses on what makes the religious texts beautiful, and shies  away
from any "preachiness" that I find very hard to put in front of  children.
Holiday Stories I further think that anything written by Anita  Ganeri is a
plus for any religion section.  The HW Wilson folks say she  is very well
reviewed....and prolific.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Rachel  Hinds
Librarian