I had asked for suggestions of the best software to use for a library
newsletter.  Thank you so much for all of your replies. I have several
options to choose from now. The responses I received are below:

I read with interest your dilemma and tried several options using word.
I had the same issues as you do with publisher. If you are up to a
challenge in learning and in purchasing software, I would recommend
buying or having your school obtain a copy of Adobe InDesign (either
InDesign 2.0 or InDesign CS2). I used ID 2.0 to create my resume and
cover letter for a job recently and the hyperlinks worked without the
URL typed in. I just upgraded to ID CS2 and love it even more and it
comes with Acrobat Professional 7.0 for creating pdfs. I purchased the
entire package as an educator. The learning curve on learning is great,
but once you get the hang of it the ease of use makes you wonder why
you ever used Publisher or Word. Since CS2 is the newest version you
may even be able to buy 2.0 discounted at stores that carry old
software or on ebay.  I use it for the journal, the newsletter, school
fliers and many other things.

Hi Sandra. I am not a school librarian yet, but as a classroom teacher I do
use MS Word to create newletters. I have a lot of fun doing them because I
can add clipart and what not to make them look nice. I have never tried to
make them a pdf and have no idea how to, but just wanted to let you know
that I do really like using MS Word for newletters.

"Find the webpage. Then hightlight the words and click on the hyperlink
symbol. Go to browsed pages and click on the one you want to link up to.
When you finish it should make your words a hyper link. Good luck."

I use Publisher to create my high school library newsletter, which I post on
my website, after converting to PDF.  I have found that Publisher is very
particular and extremely contrary and if I want everyone to be able to open
it, I need to convert to PDF.  So, yes, if that means typing out a URL, so
be it. (I guess that means that Publisher is something of a snob. ; - )
I really like the professional look of Publisher, but I could go back to
Word, which also has newsletter templates. Word is not nearly as
version-specific when it comes to opening a Word document. So, if you really
have your heart set on not using the URLs, just the hyperlinks, Word might
be the way to go.  Then you wouldn't have to convert it to a PDF file.

If you want a paper format, you can use:
MS Word document using a table to "place" your articles, etc.
MS Word document converted into a webpage (html, Word will do that  easily)
(Personally, I do not like Publisher, find it awkward to use.)
Attached is a document illustrating this.

If you are currently saving as .pdf so anyone will be able to open  the
file, you can accomplish the same by saving as a .rtf (rich text)  file and
your hyperlinks will remain active.

You can also create a webpage newsletter, using MS Word, or  preferably
using whatever webpage creation software your school or  you may own -
FrontPage, Dreamweaver, or Claris HomePage for example.  This webpage can be
uploaded to your school's webspace (with  permission from your school) or to
your own webspace, or best of all  to your library's webspace (as Naomi
suggested). If, for some reason,  you do not want to upload this webpage,
your patrons can still use/ read it as a paper document or distributed thru
email.

I am finishing my MLIS program. The University has a more recent
version of Microsoft Publisher than our school district has, and I am
unable to open the brochures I've made using the University computers
(I have a Mac at home, so I don't have Publisher at all at home).

I would recommend MS Word--it's pretty universal and mostly readable
at different upgrade levels, plus readable between Macs and PCs. It's
not as splashy as Publisher, but it gets the job done.

Since you may have different teachers using different software and you're
trying to offer them all the same access to your newsletter, I'd suggest
providing your newsletters in Word.  Most computers would have it but not
all would have Publisher (case in point---we have the same situation in our
school; I have Publisher but very few others do).

I have some newsletter templates in Word that I'll post to the list (I'm at
a different computer right now), if anyone is interested in using them.
They are very simple to modify for your library (and if you still want to
convert them to a .pdf, they can convert.)

I have not done a conversion with Word, but have done newsletters with Word.
There are a number of templates in Word online available. We do not
encourage
using Publisher in our library. It seems to have "issues" with the rest of
the
MS programs. I've had a number of techs tell me this, confirming our
observations. Last year at TCEA, I also heard similar comments. I would
think
that a Word based newsletter, converted to pdf should keep the hyperlink
formatting. It would be worth a try. (I.e., do a one line nonsensical column
w/
hyperlink, and then convert to see what happens).

Sandra Carswell, Librarian
S.C. Lee Junior High School
1205 Courtney Lane
Copperas Cove, TX  76522