Wow, you guys, I received a TON of responses.  You all rock!  There's
many very good ideas listed below and they've all been so helpful to me.
I'm reaching panic mode and it just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy
inside knowing that there is such a supportive group out there!  Thanks
to each and every one of you!!

Sandy

I have been teaching P-5 library media for seven years.  Last year I had
30
classes a week for 1/2 hour each. This 1/2 hour was tied to teacher prep

time.   I agree that three weeks between readings of the same story is
too
long.  If I have to have a lesson span two weeks I find that I spend
valuable time refreshing everyone's memory on what happened the week
before.
As such, I choose to read books that can be finished within 10-15
minutes.
This allows about 5 minutes for discussing main ideas, themes,
text-to-text,
text-to-self, text-to-world connections etc. I choose picture books with

strong messages which require some thought in our discussion.  Some of
my
favorites (students loved them too) were anything by Chris Van Allsburg,

Caldecott winners, Patricia Polacco,  Patricia McKissack, Karen Hesse
etc.
My older students also seemed to enjoy analyzing and discussing
characteristics of  folk tales.   As a result of the tight schedule the
last
ten minutes are reserved for browsing and checking out.

Although kids at that level still love to be read to, I agree that
visits that are 3 weeks apart make it difficult to stay interested.  I
think that you should booktalk a variety of books for that age level.
I'm at the middle school level and my students want to know what every
book is about.  You could even have themes each visit...booktalk the
different genres, new books added to the collection, award winners,
sequels to other books, books being made into movies, etc.

Sandy-I do read to the 5th grade.  They are a group that will still sit
long enough to focus.  In the homeroom class they read NUMBER THE STARS
(Lois Lowry) and after they finish that I always read them JACOB'S
LADDER (DURCKER).  They are so interested in the fact that have a girls
take on WW II and Jacob's Ladder gives them the story of a boy; in a
different country, but still during WW II.  I think if you can find
parallel stories like those, you will really have their attention.
Sixth grade is a different story.  In my school at least, they are "to
cool".  I know that the classroom teacher reads to them at the end of
the day and I do think that is all they can handle of that type of
activity.  FYI she makes a point of always reading TANGERINE.  They LOVE
it and even come to the library for a copy if she isn't reading fast
enough.
I too purchased Judy Freemans book, but have not gotten in to the back
to school mode yet!
Good Luck next year.

Hi.  I teach 4th and 5th graders and I do read to them.  I see them
every
week but I don't read to them each time since there are so many other
lessons I need to do.  I try to schedule read-alouds once every 4 weeks.

Generally, I find a book that I start in September and finish in June.
In
between, I may use picture books that I can finish in one sitting for
particular themes.  One year I tried to do Maniac Magee but at 180+
pages, I
didn't even come close to finishing.  Now, I look for books that are
around
130 pages.  I know some librarians just read select chapters.  I can't
speak
to 6th graders but most of the 5th graders still love to be read to.
Hope
that helps.

I am currently at a JH but  I was in elemetary for 15 years.  If I read
to the students, it was not from a chapter book...it would be something
I could do in one setting.  I usually taught library skills, though.  I
did read them the current Caldecott book, books by authors I met,
folktales when I taught a folktale unit, etc.

I would be interested in any responses that you
receive.  I will be a first time librarian for 2
Catholic elementary schools-- pre-K through 6th grade.
 I would like to read-aloud for 5th and 6th graders as
well, but I believe it will be more difficult than for
the younger ages.  I will see my classes every week,
so it might make it easier to sustain a 200 page book.

I also plan to try "book-talking" to get students
hooked on books and expose them to many titles.  Also,
use Reader's Theater and poetry (making mental
images).

Congratulations on your new job.  I've been a librarian at a K4 - 8th
grade school in  New Berlin for 2 years.  I see grades K4-5th grade for
1/2 hour once/week - and grades 6-8 once every other week.  2 classrooms
per rade.  - so I plan for 10 different grades - on a fixed schedule

The problem I have found with reading long books to older kids - is that
the kids who really like it - will check it out and read it themselves -
and those who don't like it - tend to get bored after 2 read aloud
sessions - so by the end of the book - nearly everyone acts bored.  Last
year, I didn't really read aloud any long book to 5th and 6th grade for
this reason.

I too use Judy Freeman's books - I have all 3 - they all have different
ideas.

there are tons of great picture books for that age.  another idea, is to
read excerpts from the longer books, just something that will hook them.
If I had them on a 3 week schedule, I would consider doing book talks.

Sandy, I do read to my 5th & 6th graders.  I see them weekly, but that's
still not often enough to get through a novel in a timely manner.  What
I usually do is read from a novel for 20 minutes or so for two or three
weeks, then I let it go into circulation.  I have read some completely,
but it takes for-e-v-e-r! a series of first chapter readings to hook the
kids.

Hi Sandy,
   I typically read picture books that coordinate with their
curriculum... Katie's Wish for Irish Potato Famine or Bruchac's How the
Chipmunk got his Stripes for Native American Legends, etc. I can give
you a list if you'd like.

Hi Sandy,
   I typically read picture books that coordinate with their
curriculum... Katie's Wish for Irish Potato Famine or Bruchac's How the
Chipmunk got his Stripes for Native American Legends, etc. I can give
you a list if you'd like.

When I taught 5th and 6th graders I would read at least one book a year.
It took months but the kids loved it. I had kids who read along as well
as those who sat there mesmerized each week. Of course there was NO
TALKING. Years later kids came back to school to tell me how I ignited a
spark by my animated readings with different voices for each character.

 I do read to my 5th graders but not every week. I do library skills
work in between. One of the stories I share at Thanksgiving is Outlaw
Thanksgiving by Emily McCully. I do a ghost story at Halloween. I try to
find books that are related to their curriculum to share with them or a
biography. Tales are another good source that can be done in a class
period. We also play Library related games and I do book talks with
them.

 I do read to my 5th graders but not every week. I do library skills
work in between. One of the stories I share at Thanksgiving is Outlaw
Thanksgiving by Emily McCully. I do a ghost story at Halloween. I try to
find books that are related to their curriculum to share with them or a
biography. Tales are another good source that can be done in a class
period. We also play Library related games and I do book talks with
them.

Confession time.
I was a h.s. English teacher for several years before switching to the
library.....
Could the reason for the switch have been the never-ending supply of
compositions to read each week.
OK, I am not going to confess everything to a TOTAL STRANGER........
After about 20 years as a h.s. teacher, when the school combined with
another (both rural Iowa schools), I discovered that my job would
involve the elem. library as well....
For the first couple of months, I read to all of the kids, grades
K-5.....
At that point, one of the 4th grade teachers said to me, "Are you ever
going to teach them any library skills?"
I was dumbstruck.
In library grad. school, I had had a course in library management--for
high school only!  I did not take the one for jhs or elem, assuming I'd
never have any students from those areas.
After the question from the 4th grade teacher, I radically changed my
elem. program, pretty much eliminating reading books to the kids, as ALL
of the elementary teachers were reading to their kids for around 20
minutes each day.  I had no idea I was duplicating their efforts.
If you are a total newbie, as I was, I'd suggest having a conference
with each teacher to discuss what they'd like to see you teach while the
kids are in the library.
The first year, I had a quickie conference that was used ONLY to
schedule the library visit.
I learned a lot that first year!

Hi Sandy, I'm going to be a first year librarian too.  I also
purchased Judy Freeman's book and have been reading it.  Any
suggestions you get I'd love for you to do a HIT or send them my
way.  I'm going to have two schools,  a PreK-1 and a 5th-6th grade
building.  I'll see the kids every other week and my assistant will
handle checkouts on the weeks I am not there.

I see 5th graders for 45 minutes each week.  I read lots of picture
books to them.  I usually only read 1 "chapter book" a year - How to eat

fried worms to 4th graders and another (whose title I can't think of
right now) to 3rd graders.  There are lots of upper level picture books
that work well with older students.  I usually do several Russian
folktales, especially Baba Yaga, with them.  I also do historical
fiction - Polacco's Pink and Say, Mochizuki's Baseball saved us, Heroes,

and Passage to freedom are some suggestions.

Congratulations - I too was a classroom teacher.  Going to the library
was the best professional decision I have ever made...
My teachers really wanted me to focus on specific SOL's.  I do read to
the students but only once a month in grades 3-5.  I usually have 2 or 3
books and do a brief book talk on each.  Then I let the students vote on
the book they want to start.  I read that day and then tell them if they
want to finish the story they have to check it out and read it
themselves.  :)

Congratulations - I too was a classroom teacher.  Going to the library
was the best professional decision I have ever made...
My teachers really wanted me to focus on specific SOL's.  I do read to
the students but only once a month in grades 3-5.  I usually have 2 or 3
books and do a brief book talk on each.  Then I let the students vote on
the book they want to start.  I read that day and then tell them if they
want to finish the story they have to check it out and read it
themselves.  :)

Book talk the books and use selections to read aloud. There are some
great
picture books that go with the curriculum such as Pink and Say for the
Civil
War. I love Judy's book because it gives great subject listings in the
back
and each book listed also gives other books that can relate to the entry

title and ideas to use the books. If you don't have the main one
mentioned,
you can find another from her book and do similar activities with the
kids.
Also, kids love Reader's Theatre and those are listed. Toni Buzzio on
this
list has lots of ideas for reader's theatre and soon will come out with
book on it. If you get the magazine Library Sparks you will find
reader's
theatre in each issue.She suggest giving kids copies so they can
practice
the scripts and then perform it for the class after practice. Another
fun idea is to do choral reading with poems for two voices or adapt
some for choral reading and allow time for kids to practice their parts
and
the perform them. An extension might be to have them write poems for 2
voices.
Also, don't forget to do some skills connected to the content. Lots to
try and not enough time. Good luck,

Just saw your very nice post about my new baby, Books Kids Will Sit
Still For 3, AKA The Awful Book. Thanks so much for letting people know
about it. I spent 3 intense years working on it, and I'm so gratified to
hear you're enjoying it.

So what about those 5th and 6th graders? Well, no, you can't really
spend too much library time reading one book aloud, that's very true. I
was trying to find where I addressed that subject in my earlier books,
and then I remembered it was in the first book, BKWSSF, published in
1990. There's a chapter called "A Chapter or Two May Suffice," about
reading chapters and bits from fiction books. Someone asked if I could
do an updated version of that chapter for the new book, but I was
already just about done the text (which was too long as it was & then
the publisher needed to cut chapters, so I couldn't think about adding
anything new anyway), and I agree, it would've been a good thing to
have. Ah well. You can't have everything, I guess.

I lam always on the lookout for great chapters, pages, or even
paragraphs to read aloud to older kids, along with lots of booktalking,
of course. I'm just now working on an article about just that very
subject for School Library Journal's Curriculum Connections, a
supplement they put out 2X every year, and here's what I wrote:

"While librarians don't often have time to read aloud an entire fiction
book, they can "sample"--reading aloud a memorable chapter, a page, or
even a paragraph. When you find a book you wish you had time to read
aloud, try this. Offer it to a teacher you know will enjoy reading it
aloud, but with a proviso: "I'd like to start this book with your
class." In the library, read the first chapter or two aloud, booktalk
and hand out other titles with the same author, genre, or theme, and
then relinquish the book to the teacher to continue in the classroom.
Every time the children see you in the library--or in the
hallway--they'll want to "talk book," which will provide an extra bond
with the class."

The first chapter of Richard Peck's The Teacher's Funeral; the first
chapter of The Lightning Thief, when Percy goes to the Met Museum in NYC
on a class field trip & his math teacher turns into a harpy & tries to
kill him; the first chapter of The Tale of Despereaux--look for excerpts
that will pull kids in. Lots of drama, humor, suspense. "Can I have
that," is a line you'll hear a lot. The books in my Fiction Booklists
chapter are wonderful read-alouds, sure, but also great read-alones.

If I do another volume of the book in a batch of years--and my husband
has promised to take me out & have my head examined if I do--then, yes,
I'll add a chapter about that. In the meantime, 17,000 folks on LM_NET
might have some VERY good suggestions, so be sure to post a hit. (And
yes, you can include my note in your e-mail if you like.)

Best of luck with the new job. (Do read the chapter "17 Things You need
to Know to Be a School Librarian" for some good, practical advice.) I'm
betting you'll have a blast.

As an introduction to a genre or an authoror a new purchase, read a
great chapter from a book or a few.  You can introduce it and then read
the most interesting one.

Booktalk the chapter books. Show them webpages for the authors. Read
some of the picture books to them. There are lots of great ones these
days for older kids. Punctuation Takes a Vacation is one that comes to
mind. Also a great one I have (Drummer Boy?) about the Civil War. There
are some good picture books for older kids these days that tie into the
curriculum. And also get into the illustrations with them. Talk about
medium, style, etc. Of course, you'll also want to teach reference
skills, unless you're lucky enough to have some time in your schedule to
collaborate and do projects. I don't really so I try to at least expose
them to the almanac and some other things. You really can't do much
teaching once every three weeks. Booktalks and picture books are
probably your best way to go.

Oh, yes, I was about to say have fun and that reminds me. Play games
with them. They love book character guessing games, dictionary relays.
I'm sure there are some good ones in the lm_net archives.

And do have fun! If it's fun for you, then it's fun for them!

You don't have time to read to them. You'll be too busy teaching them
information literacy! :) I would share this book with their teachers who
probably have reading a book aloud scheduled into their classroom time.

Or, maybe start an after school listening club?

Congratulations on a new position! I hope you find many things to enjoy
with your new job. I have been a school librarian for several years now,
and I read aloud to grades k-5. Our 6th grade does not include library
in their weekly schedule, they visit for research purposes only.
As for reading aloud to 5th/6th grade, I'd say DO IT!!! I almost always
choose books which we will not finish in one period, and this works just
fine. Over Christmas break we do not see each other for several weeks,
and sometimes due to other scheduling conflicts we may not see each
other weekly throughout the year. I always start the 2nd time reading a
book (and perhaps in your situation, each time) doing a quick review of
the book. Many times there is a student who can fill us all in very well
and quickly and then we pick up in the book where we left off. If you
find this doesn't work and/or want a change, I've found that my students
really enjoy a selection of "wise" picture books. If each of the picture
book titles is within the same theme and you can somehow match this to
what they are working on in class, it really is revealing and enriching
for all. This is also a great way to get the teachers onboard and
involved with what you are doing in library during each visit. I hope
this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions!