I am part of a wonderful committee in my school.  The basic idea is -
"If you were redesigning schools - how would you design them so that
students are ready for the new economy."  It is fascinating.  Eventually
we will have to deal with the question - "Well - that is all very good -
but how do we get around the testing requirements, space constraints,
budget roadblocks etc." - but if you don't dream - nothing new will
happen.

Our 10th grade English Teacher is on the committee and has become so
interested in all the "Flat World" concepts - that she wants to change
the traditional research paper from the current author study to an
exploration of "flat world" & globalization concepts.   She wants the
students to study the concepts, and also make predictions on what their
world world will be like and what they should do to prepare for this new
world.  She is willing to be quite inclusive with the topics.  For
instance - She would love for student to explore how Web 2.0 concepts or
how the web is expanding outlets for budding authors/artists/musicians.
She is very open to ideas - as long as they are "futurist" in nature -
even if the idea is why a particular idea might not work - or might not
be a good thing for society.

So - I am here to tap the collective brain again.

Can any of you help me with any of the following things?  I will collect
your ideas into a Hit.  I plan to post this request on my blog - and I
will include those ideas as well.  Thanks as alway for your help.  Here
are the things to consider:

BOOKS:  Can you suggest books that I should order?  I already own "The
World Is Flat" by Thomas Friedman and "A Whole New Mind" by Daniel Pink.
 I know about Richard Florida's books "The Rise of the Creative Class"
and the "Flight of the Creative Class".  Do you know of any others.  I
would be particularly interested in books on globalization and other
topics that are written particularly for middle and high school
students.

WEB & DATABASE ARTICLES:  Do you know of any  articles that would be
especially useful?  I have several by Doug Johnson on my list right now.
 We want the students to do some general readings first before they get
into their individual research.

SEARCH STRATEGIES/TOPICS:  What search words or phrases would be
especially useful for locating this kind of information?

PRESENTATION IDEAS:  The teacher wants to expand this research project
beyond the traditional research paper that she has done for years.  It
means the project will take nearly all year.  The first part will be a
"traditional" research paper - because we have to teach those skills.
But - she wants to include a presentation component.  So - ultimately
she wants them to use their research as the basis of some sort of
creative presentation to the class.  A video comes to mind immediately.
What we don't want is a ton of boring power-points.  We want the kids to
create something really engaging.  We are open to students working
together to create a group presentation.  Do you have any ideas for us?

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS