I just wanted to share that my middle school just hosted an author visit
with Neal Shusterman last week. It was extremely successful. We got lots of
positive feedback from the students, as well as the teachers and parents who
participated in the various sessions. He is very dynamic, engaging, and
personable, and I would definitely recommend him for an author visit. He did
two types of sessions:

-an assembly, which was entirely question and answer, but in which he made
sure he incorporated comments about how he got started as a writer, how he
gets his ideas, and the writing process.
-small group workshops, in which he brainstormed with the group and came up
with a story idea and an opening paragraph for the story.

He also read from manuscripts of a book about to be published, one he just
sent to the publisher, and one he just started. What a treat!

If anyone is interested in planning a visit with him, you can check his
website at  <http://www.storyman.com/> www.storyman.com, and email him at
<mailto:nstoryman@aol.com> nstoryman@aol.com. He lives in southern
California.

I was very pleased that my principal told him he hoped we could have him
back in two or three years, and that our PFC (Parent Faculty Club) -  which
provided the funding for the event - just added money to their budget to
host another author visit next year!

I met Neal Shusterman when I had the priviledge of introducing him as the
speaker during a concurrent session at CSLA (California School Library
Associaton) last November. What a wonderful network for meeting great people
and sharing great ideas we librarians have!

Jane Lofton

Jane Lofton

Librarian

Lindero Canyon Middle School