When we visited family in Canada last week, everyone removed their shoes
upon entering the home.  Boxes of slippers of assorted sizes were near the
doorway for  visitors to use inside the home.  (They let us be rude last
visit.)

We noticed our Russian friends removed all shoes at the door when visiting
us.

My husband reports his former SIL from France insisted all wear slippers in
the house and leave outside shoes at the door.....

So, of course I had to try to investigate....and I learned that Russia,
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Canada are specifically listed as places
in which one removes shoes when entering the home..(I do not consider my
research to have covered all places......)
What other nations have this shoe custom?

http://www.naturalhomeandgarden.com/backissues/04-01/KickShoes.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_faux_pas

I could not help but wonder:  If the rich and famous gave a party in these
countries, would guests use inside slippers at the gala event??   How rude
was I perceived to be when I left my shoes on????
Are there any communities in the USA who leave the shoes at the entryway?

Mary Croix Ludwick, Librarian
Between jobs at this time
ludwick@swbell.net (home address)