I asked for information about student plagiarism and high school graduation. Here
is the compilation:
> We have just had this happen to us this week!  A teacher had a student fail his
> course in her junior year.  It is a required course for graduation.  She had the
> option of writing a paper or retaking the course during her senior year.  She
> opted to write the paper.  He brought me the paper telling me it wasn't this
> students "voice".  I put it through turnitin.com and also worked on it myself.
> Turnitin came up with 29% of the paper plagiarized and I found over 65% of the
> paper plagiarized.  She was informed that she would be failing, would not be
> allowed to walk across the stage to get her diploma, and if she wanted to
> complete the course during summer school she would at least get her GED.  She is
> devastated (oh well-do the crime do the time!) but unfortunately she is only
> upset because of the "social" issues of not being able to graduate with her
> peers and not upset about stealing others work!
Lessons in Internet Plagiarism June 28, 2001 New York Times By KATIE HAFNER
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/20010629friday.html

"Even when caught, many high school students are relatively blasé about their
transgression. Dr. Peter G. Mehas, superintendent of schools in Fresno County,
Calif., blames parents, at least partly. . . .
Each spring, he receives about 200 calls from parents, "asking why someone's little
darling isn't graduating," Dr. Mehas said. . . .
But Dr. Mehas stands firm on his decision to deny graduation to plagiarists."

Title:  Fifteen Minutes of Fame.
Authors:        Field, Karena Auguston
Source: Design News; 9/8/2003, Vol. 59 Issue 13, p11-11, 1p
Document Type:  Article
Subject Terms: ACTIONS & defenses (Administrative law) HIGH schools PLAGIARISM
UNIVERSITIES & colleges – Admission  HORNSTINE, Blair
Abstract:       Comments on the filing of a lawsuit by home-schooled
student Blair Hornstine against her high school so she did not have to share the
valedictorian title with a fellow student. Reason of Harvard University for
withdrawing its offer of admission; Explanation offered by Hornstine regarding the
issue of plagiarism; Analysis of her
behavior.
ISSN:   0011-9407       Accession Number:       10778382
Persistent link to this record:
http://search.epnet.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&an=10778382

Title:  Harvard to Hornstine: No Way.
Authors:        Kantrowitz, Barbara   Scelfo, Julie
Source: Newsweek; 7/21/2003, Vol. 142 Issue 3, p50, 1/3p, 1c
Document Type:  Article
Subject Terms:  COPYRIGHT infringement EDUCATION, Secondary PLAGIARISM HORNSTINE,
Blair
Geographic Terms:       UNITED States
Abstract:       Offers a look at the consequences of plagiarism. Case of
Blair Hornstine whose acceptance to Harvard University was revoked after the school
learned Hornstine had used unattributed text from other authors in columns for a
newspaper; Her suit against her high school;
Comments by her lawyer, Edwin Jacobs Junior.
Full Text Word Count:   295
ISSN:   0028-9604       Accession Number:       10238319
Persistent link to this record:
http://search.epnet.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=f5h&an=10238319

Plagiarism in Colleges in USA Copyright 2000 by Ronald B. Standler
http://www.rbs2.com/plag.htm#anchor444444
4. Cases Against Plagiarists in Colleges
Summary
“In every plagiarism case  . . . found involving a student or professor, the court
upheld the punishment imposed by the college. Further, the court often make
gratuitous, pejorative comments about the bad character of the plagiarist, which
show that it is unwise for a plagiarist to complain about how he/she was treated.”

Case Law: Found nothing in case law about depriving a student of high school
graduation because of plagiarism, but these cases seem to be on point about some
aspects of the situation:
Rivera v. SSA, 04-3350 , UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE FEDERAL CIRCUIT ,
137 Fed. Appx. 357; 2005 U.S. App
upheld federal law enforcement agent's removal from her job for committing
plagiarism while at a training academy.
http://www.fedcir.gov/opinions/04-3350.pdf

Layshock v. Hermitage Sch. Dist., 2:06-cv-116 , UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR
THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF PENNSYLVANIA , 412 F. Supp. 2d 502; 2006 U.S. Dist.
Parents' motion was denied. Parents did not show that their son would suffer
irreparable harm if disciplinary sanctions were not enjoined,.(KIND OF INTERESTING,
AS IT INVOLVES MY SPACE)
http://www.aclupa.org/downloads/CourtorderTRO.pdf

> Please share any "cases" you get.  I am always trying to share "real
> life" consequensed with my students.  I will put the information on my
> page - not using names/places to protect the "innocent".
>
> The page is located at:
> http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/plagexamples.htm
>
> You will need to scroll down past teh section titled "WHAT IS PLAGIARISM
> & HOW CAN YOU AVOID IT?" and look for the section "THE IMPACT OF
> PLAGIARISM
> REAL LIFE EXAMPLES"

Debra Gniewek, Librarian
CRHS South