I wanted to add to my original post.  The school I am going to is large:
about 750 students.  I will have an assistant but no librarian.  From what I
have heard, in the past these students have simply been read to; there was
no teaching involved. The library is way behind comparatively speaking.
It's not even automated yet, a task I hope to undertake after I get a feel
for what's going on.  In addition, I will have an extremely busy fixed
schedule, a situation I hope to remedy after the 1st year.

 When interviewing with the director of schools and the principal, they were
enthusiastic that I want to teach rather than just read to the students.
There is a new computer lab (not in the library) with no one to teach
computer skills and the principal was very excited when I asked if there was
a computer lab and told him that I would like to teach basic computer
skills.

So, I'm going into a less than ideal situation but want to make the best out
of it and teach as much as I can.  I am familiar with information power and
hope to incoporate some of it but I would like to also teach literary genres
(biographies, fairy tales, tall tales, etc), the difference between fiction
and non-fiction, what reference books and periodicals are, etc.  But, I
don't know at what levels I should try to introduce these concepts.  I know
that repetition is key but don't want to overwhelm the students.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice you can offer.
Melissa Byrd
Soon to be librarian, Jacksboro Elementary
Jacksboro, TN

--
Melissa Byrd