Here is a HIT of responses to my request for lesson ideas for teaching technology
skills to the very young. THANKS TO EVERYONE!
  1.. ELEMENTARY KEYBOARDING GUIDE & PRINTABLE KEYBOARD:

http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/index.html<http://www.sasked.govsk.ca/docs/elemkey/index.html>

http://www.teachnet.com/graphics/powertools/neattools/keyboard.pdf<http://www.teachnet.com/graphics/powertools/neattools/keyboard.pdf>

http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/images/pg25.gif<http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/images/pg25.gif>

  Recommendations, competencies, activities, and more are com-
  piled in this keyboarding guide for elementary school classes.
  Use the 2nd URL above for a printable keyboard. The 3rd URL
  above offers a fingering chart which your students can color
  and keep on their desks.

  FINGERING GUIDE:

http://library.thinkquest.org/18709/data/keys.html?tqskip1=1<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.1.NLRNKn>

  Print out this guide as a reference chart in your computer
  lab for keyboarding skills. Keys are color coded, with a
  reference to left and right fingers and the corresponding
  colors for each letter.

  TEACHING PRIMARY KEYBOARDING SKILLS:

http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/ict/files/typingskills.pdf<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.2.Hby2Pg>

  This printable reference sheet reinforces keyboarding skills
  for elementary students, showing them where to rest their left
  hand and right hand, what the shift keys and cap locks do, and
  how the fingers move to other keys. Each student should have
  a copy to refer to when learning keyboarding skills.

  KEYBOARDING ACTIVITIES:

http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/etc/cathy/keyboard.htm<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.3.XsQJd>

http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/suggested.html<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.4.JdC6Df>

http://facstaff.uww.edu/rogersh/Issues/Articles/EKActivities.pdf<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.5.MxHCKw>

http://www.madison.k12.wi.us/tnl/langarts/activities.htm<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.6.HVHWr1>

http://www.thecoo.edu/~apeter/technology.htm#keybd<http://info.riverdeep.net/Key=49313.FM8.7.gMZ2Z>

  Numerous lesson plans and exercises, as well as posture
  guidelines, paper keyboards, and fingering charts are all
  available here.

  2.. COMPUTER SKILLS AND CURRICULUM:

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/curriculum/Computer.skills/lssnplns/CompCurr.LP.html<http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/curriculum/Computer.skills/lssnplns/CompCurr.LP.html>

  Skills are targeted for computer lab curriculum from
  grades K through 8, with accompanying lesson plans.

  KEYBOARDING K-3:

http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/suggested.html<http://www.saskedgov.sk.ca/docs/elemkey/suggested.html>

  This site provides a wealth of activities and suggest-
  ions for helping elementary students to correctly mas-
  ter keyboarding skills. Several printable keyboard
  chart templates are available as well.

  COMPUTER LAB LESSONS K-3:

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/KingsParkES/technology/lessons/<http://www.fcpsk12.va.us/KingsParkES/technology/lessons/>

http://www.riverdeep.net/products/kid_pix/deluxe_3.jhtml<http://www.riverdeep.net/products/kid_pix/deluxe_3.jhtml>

  Find numerous lesson ideas for computer lab use, from
  kindergarten through third grade, largely using Kid Pix
  (available at the 2nd URL above). Web activities, web
  resources, and webquests are also included in this ex-
  cellent resource.

  COMPUTER LAB LESSON PLANS:

http://www.lessonplans.com.au/lessons.htm<http://www.lessonplans.com.au/lessons.htm>

  Several lesson plans explore technology across differ-
  ent topics, including weather, graphing, art, and lan-
  guage arts.

  COMPUTER SKILLS:

http://www.it.dpsnc.net/elementary/bean/csc.html<http://www.it.dpsnc.net/elementary/bean/csc.html>

  With grade level strands, tips for technology inte-
  gration, and sample skills tests, this site also of-
  fers links to computer curriculum and skills by grade
  levels.

  3.. You should introduce  Starfall.com:
http://www.starfall.com<http://www.starfall.com/>

  It is a free website, and it is great for the young ones to learn to use the
  mouse, as well as reinforcing phonemic awareness, early reading skills, etc.

  4.. Try:
  Cool Math 4 Kids <http://www.coolmath4kids.com<http://www.coolmath4kids.com/>>
  AAA Math  <http://www.aaamath.com<http://www.aaamath.com/>>
  National Library for Virtual Manipulatives

<http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html<http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html>>

  Here are a couple of websites for lessons for little folks using technology:
  e..
http://www.learnnc.org/lessons/search?grade=K&scos_subject=Computer+Technology+Skills<http://www.learnnc.org/lessons/search?grade=K&scos_subject=Computer+Technology+Skills>

http://www.learnnc.org/lessons/search?grade=1&scos_subject=Computer+Technology+Skills<http://www.learnnc.org/lessons/search?grade=1&scos_subject=Computer+Technology+Skills>

  Go to http://www.gcsnc.com/index_alt.htm<http://www.gcsnc.com/index_alt.htm>,
then to resources and tech plans for grade levels. There are some for K and 1st
grade.

  6.. Try this site:

  <http://www.iknowthat.com<http://www.iknowthat.com/>>

  Helpful Site Features
  "Find Activities By Grade" is another feature that helps you find content at the
site. Click on any of the grade buttons near the top of any page and you get a list
of all the iKnowthat.com activities for the selected grade level. The list includes
games, activities, quizzes, and puzzles along with their specific topics.

  And if you're wondering how the activities at iKnowthat.com relate to educational
learning objectives, take a look at the Teacher Guide. It contains sets of learning
objectives by grade level for each activity at the site.

  You can link to the Teacher Guide from the left-side navigation bar and choose an
activity from the menu. Or, you can link directly to the learning objectives for a
specific activity from a grade level search results page.

  There are subscription options available so that ads can be eliminated.  When
using this site with a class, have students click "maybe later" when prompted to
register for a screen name.  We don't register for screen names at our school.  We
leave that up to parents to allow their youngsters to register for screen names.

  7.. I'd recommend looking at "Read, Write and Type" which is geared to that age
group.   (http://www.readwritetype.com<http://www.readwritetype.com/> ) .

  8.. I teach basic computer skills to kindergarteners.  I have 1/2 of each class
every week.  I use KidPix most of the time.  I find the program is very versatile.
I collaborate with the teachers to cover a particular concept or letter being
taught and then include some computer skills.

  This site has lots of good ideas and links.

http://www.education-world.com/a_tech/tech/tech209.shtml<http://www.education-world.com/a_tech/tech/tech209.shtml>

  9.. Here are the tech standards from my state (Maryland). You might get
  some ideas. Some are still in draft form.

http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/departments/techlit/<http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/departments/techlit/>

  10.. Grade 1 & 2  A research project on a topic of interest,
  ex. animals, dinosaurs. Give them set questions, what do they eat, where do
  they live, etc. Partner each young child with an older grade students, 4-6.
  The older students can guide them through the process.

  compiled by
  Martha Taylor, LMS
  Peekskill School District
  Peekskill, NY 10566