Hi all, Judy gave me permission to post this to the list. I have great success with
this with 5th graders. I just have to caution that I will edit so they might as
well leave out the stuff they think impresses the other 5th graders. "dirty words
and guns and such"
  I have the students type the tale in MS Word in a column. They print it and paste
it on long paper and I made a tall book out of it.

  CREATE AN INSTANT TALL TALE

(from Judy Freeman's Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3; Libraries
Unlimited,
2006)

How do you explain the humor and exaggeration of tall tales? I have
observed
that younger children have literal senses of humor, and the dry,
straight-faced humor of tall tales often flies over their heads.

I learned the following simple, hilarious, entertaining, and
instructive
activity, a composite story exercise, from one of my students at Pratt
Institute.
I asked her if I could use it, and she said, "Oh, sure. I got it from
someone
else, though." So I fiddled with it and made it my own. It's magical
doing
this activity with children to introduce or culminate a tall tales
unit. You're
reinforcing the Five W's—who, what, where, why, and when—in a
Mad-Libs kind of
way, and you're demonstrating how exaggeration works.

When third grade teacher, Nancy Havran, did this with her students at
Van
Holten School in Bridgewater, New Jersey, they laughed and laughed.
When I came
back to visit her classroom later that day, they all wanted to share
their
composite stories. What I didn't expect, as the children regaled me
with their
very silly tall tales, was that they were already able to recite them
aloud from
memory.

OBJECTIVE:
To reinforce the Five W's: Who, What, Where, When, Why
To introduce the concept of absurdity in tall tales

SUPPLIES NEEDED:
1 long strip of legal sized paper, cut in half the long way (4" x 14"),
for
each person; a pencil for each person

PROCEDURE:
1. To construct an instant absurd TALL TALE, each person in a group of
seven
writes down a response to your first writing prompt (below), folds over
a flap
of the paper to cover up the writing, and passes it on to the person on
the
right. On receiving a new paper from the person on the left, each
person writes
an answer for the second prompt, folds the paper over again, and passes
it to
the right again.

2. At the end of the exercise, each person will have written one answer
each prompt, but on seven different strips of paper. Each writer then
unfolds
his or her paper and reads aloud the usually hilarious composite
sentence to the
group or entire class.

3. Children can copy over their composite tall tales on a long piece of
drawing paper—a piece of 24" X 36" paper, cut in half the long way,
would work
fine—and illustrate each line. This makes a very cute bulletin board,
"Heard any
TALL TALES lately?"

LEADER'S PROMPTS:
1. Who (Think of a real or fictional person's name, from books, or real
life
or movies or your own mother, such as: The Stinky Cheese Man or Elvis
Presley.)

2. Did What (Describe an activity, using an action verb, such as:
Climbed Mt.
Everest or Baked a Cake.)

3. With Whom (Think of another real or fictional person's name, and use
the
preposition "with": with Cinderella or George Washington.)

4. Where (Think of a place or a location, and start with a preposition
like
"in" or "on": On the back of a chicken or in Nome, Alaska.)

5. When (Give a time, such as: Last Tuesday or in 1776.)

6. Why (Give a reason, starting with the word "because": Because roses
are
red and violets are blue or Because I said so.)

7. And all the people said: (Think of a quote, and start it with the
words,
"And all the people said": And all the people said,"To be or not to be.
That is
the question.")

8. Unfold your paper and let's share our new tall tales.

And here is the final, composite, cheerfully absurd, Tall Tale
sentence, as
composed by seven individual writers:

The Stinky Cheese Man
Climbed Mt. Everest