We have just completed our Library "Coffee House" (Day One) which involved our
middle school and high school students gathering in the library to read their
original works aloud (to the audience of fellow students and teachers).

We provided Starbucks coffee (with syrups), hot chocolate, hot flavored teas, and
for those students who were brave enough to perform, we also had a special "room"
set-up for them with 2 -- 12' Subway sandwiches, chips, and cookies.

We displayed all of the students' works for everyone to read and had a stage set-up
for the students to sit (at a stool) with a microphone, so that everyone could hear
them.

The tables had tablecloths, some "coffee" bandanas that I found at an area arts &
craft store and then small glass globes with candles inside (yes, we even burned
the candles---private school, issue already resolved on our campus, no problem from
administration or others....had I been in public school, yes, I know the rules....).

I downloaded my Rhapsody account to my computer, hooked up a speaker and loaded
several '60's songs (Simon & Garfunkle, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Byrds, etc.) on
the list and had them playing from a speaker that I connected to the system.  We
also brought in the OLD 33 1/3 rpm record albums that "some teachers" had stuck in
their closets--- of those same artists (and one teacher brought their OLD record
player...no, 8-track tapes, though!).

The atmosphere was really "cool" almost "groovy"...and the kids are set for DAY TWO
tomorrow....when we will have additional readers AND some who want to include
musical renditions (guitar, keyboards, etc.) to their works.

Our finale will be on Saturday when we have our "Young Author's Expo" on
campus--with judges and a visiting author (local) who will listen to the works of
others and share tips on writing with our talented students!

I think we'll be doing this again next year.....

....("gee, my feet hurt!")  :>

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
4200 Country Day Lane
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
817.732.7718 ext. 339

"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing
the impossible."
 ~St. Francis of Assisi
sbrisco@fwcds.org
http://www.fwcds.org/campus/libraries/default.asp