For any librarian who has recreational books to
donate, I received an email from Betty Lazarus who is
asking for books for children at Singleton Charter
School in New Orlean, LA.  She is a member of American
Library Association, and asked  to forward this letter
"to any people or publishers that you feel could be
helpful in our post Katrina, rebuilding efforts.  We
are so fortunate to be safe, but we have also lost so
much.
My school,  Ridgewood Preparatory School sustained
very little physical damage, but we are still victims
of the storm in so many ways, including diminished
enrollment, faculty, etc.  We have received help and
support from so many in the American Library
Association community, and are so appreciative of all
of your efforts.

My syngagoge library, Congregation Gates of Prayer was
flooded and after 6
months, we have just installed carpet and put shelves
in place to start our
library over again.  We have been fortunate in the
last to weeks to have volunteer
groups come in from all over the country to help us
put the books on the
shelves and begin again.  As you can tell this is a
very slow process.

We can also use books for the following project.
Perhaps people might even
want to visit the school when they are in New Orleans
for convention:

 I visited Singleton Charter School yesterday with my
cousin Jessie and family.  They are so appreciative
all that we have done for them so far.  We have
raised $7000 in cash donations to buy supplies for 3rd
and 4th graders who had
absolutely nothing.  Not even pencils.  We still need
to raise another $5000
so they will have dictionaries, math books, etc.
This is where you all come in.  Jessie is sending 17
big boxes of library books from Princeton.  I have
dropped off several boxes and others have been
shipped to me.  The Tips Foundation is matching all
cash donations so we can meet
our goal.

They need LOTS more books.  Please let anyone and
everyone know that we need them to clean out their
kids "free reading books," not classroom books that
are appropriate for k - 8th grades and send them to
us.

The kids are wonderful to talk to.  90% lost their
homes and they are suffering at best, but so very
happy to be in school.  They are from all parts of
Greater New Orleans.  Anyone who needed a school is
there.  Most of the teachers and administrators also
lost there homes.  Many are driving in every day from
Hammond, Baton Rouge, Houma, just to have a job and to
teach these poor kids.

They have plenty of clothes.  Lots of clothes have
been donated.  They just need to have books and enough
supplies to properly conduct school.  (I am
monitoring the supply list so we don't buy supplies
they have already gotten.)  Please send book donations
to:
Singleton Charter School, c/o Latoye Brown.  2005
Philip Street, New
Orleans, LA  70113

I will take any suggestions you have on how we can
best help them.  They are very special teachers who
are so kind and generous.

Friends of many of you have sent things and checks
from around the country, but we need more.  Please
forward this on to friends  and family who live
outside of New Orleans and ask for help for this very
worthy school.   These kids really are in need of help
so please do what you can.

Thanks!! Carol
Carol G. Asher
Executive Director
Tipitina's Foundation
carolgasher@tipitinas.com
www.tipitinasfoundation.org
504.722.7115
504.282.2391
Thank you in advance for any and all help.
Betty
Betty B. Lazarus
Director Library, Media, Technology
Ridgewood Preparatory School