I am looking just for the subject headings themselves, for creating the record, not
worrying about Dewey numbers at all.  Thanks to everyone who has already responded!

Karin

-----Original Message-----
From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Leefers, Karin
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:28 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: subject cataloging help - Magic

Hello, All

I'm hoping one of you can help with a question that came up in my cataloging class
last night.  The topic was the difference in LC subjects between the children's and
regular headings. One of the examples used in class is that magic tricks and
conjuring are catagorized as "Magic tricks" in the adult subjects, but "Magic" for
the children's.  One of my classmates asked why Magic couldn't be used for the
adults as well.  My instructor responded that with the adult subjects, "Magic" was
used for ritual or religious magic, as opposed to tricks.  I asked what subject a
children's book on ritual magic would be given.  He looked at me, blinked a couple
of times, and said he didn't know.  Can anyone out there set this straight?

thanks!

Karin

I'll post a hit if anyone wants me to.

Karin Leefers