Darn, no one raked me over the coals.  Y'all are getting real polite.  I
thank you.

Now, regarding my post, I did receive several responses directly, mostly
in agreement, however, one nice lady reminded me that students need to
have a place they can go to work or read or gather, and that is
typically a library, so to have no such place in a school would be
irresponsible.  I appreciate that insight and wholeheartedly agree!  It
reminded me of David Warlick's comment in one of his podcasts about the
library becoming an Information Production Center, where kids go to
find, synthesize, and produce information in print, video, audio, and
digital formats--that if they do not have the opportunity to develop as
effective communicators, their "voices" will simply not be heard.  Now
THAT would be a powerful argument for a library to use with architects
and superintendents!

Some comments bemoaned the use and quality of Internet/Web resources and
I completely agree with that...but it wasn't the issue.  I did
specifically mention the purchase of online subscription database
services.  There is no question about the quality of such databases and
their value as supreme research sources, and since higher education and
corporations of all types use them more and more, there's a real need to
teach students how to find, access, and use those resources
appropriately.  It seems to me that providing and teaching a variety of
high-quality, information-rich databases will allow students to see far
more dramatically the inferiority of free Internet/Web sources than if
we persist in restricting them to a certain number or type of source.
Like, how often do you suppose the boss is gonna say, "Joe, we need you
to compile some information for the annual report, and we want you to
use an encyclopedia and a newspaper, and only one website."?

Finally, my comment about not seeing print reference resources on Star
Trek:  many referred to incidents in the various series' where books
were read and appreciated, but I did say use of "a print _reference_
resource"--for reference they _always_ used "Computer."   Even in the
"Court Martial" episode that appears to glorify books over computers, it
is the dilution and homogenization of _information_ put on the computer
that is criticized (much as we lament the poor quality of info on the
Web; I am reminded of a concern expressed on this listserv about
including only text for periodical databases, ignoring the power of the
accompanying pictures and graphics--certainly a consideration when
choosing which database to subscribe to!).  And, at the end of the
episode, it's the skillful use of the _computer as a reference resource_
--not one of the law books piled up in Kirk's quarters--that helps to
find the real culprit.  I do love books--I have hundreds--and I love to
read books; I use reference books when appropriate, but I sure do love
the comprehensiveness and searchability of databases for most
information needs! (I wonder if Lexis-Nexis had been digitized back in
the late 60's, would Spock have convinced Cogley of the ease of
searching L-N to find information rather than wade through his thousands
of books? :-) )

So, my friends, I think I will continue believing that it is curriculum
needs, student demographics, and facility arrangement & equipment that
ought to determine the library and its resources.  To convince
others--like architects and superintendents--we need to offer some
different arguments than the tired old refrains about the difficulty of
"curling up with a good computer" or "not everything is on the Internet"
or even "it's faster to find some info in a good reference book than on
the Internet."  We need strong arguments about finding and using
information in a variety of useful, high-quality resources in several
formats, about the need to teach information-seeking strategies for any
kind of research requirement, and about the one person in the school who
can bring curriculum, technology, and communication together...a
certified teacher-librarian, whether s/he has a "normal" library or not.

Barbara Paciotti, SLMIS
Barbara Bush MS, Irving TX
barupa@swbell.net