I've been reading the postings about the high school without a library and
it reminded me of a phenomena that we have noticed. Even in our school of
predominately non-readers, a full book cart can be fascinating. We began to
notice it when we would have a student sent to us to "keep busy" for the
class period. If we were busy, we often would send him or her over to the
book carts to tidy the books that needed reshelving. After a few minutes, we
would check on the student and would ALWAYS find a book open and an avid
pair of eyes perusing. The funniest part--it does not seem to matter the age
or reading ability of the student. There is always some book that catches
their eye. As a matter of fact, we have had some boys in this week to help
(since they did not need the intensive standardized test preparation that is
taking up class time this close to the test--they already passed) and we
have had them placing labels and security tags in new books. I have seen
them get caught by snake books, football, rock musicians, a few fiction
books, reference books, etc. And, only one of these boys had ever
voluntarily entered the library in the last 4 years!  We actually lost one
little 9th grader who sat down in the middle of 3 untidily piled book carts
(we have had a lot of shelving problems) with a reference book on how things
work and was so quiet and invisible that we forgot he was there! We had to
write him a note to his next class. We have been more careful to keep on eye
on our temporary helpers since.
This happens to everybody who gets near the almost always messy book carts.
Despite the visible chaos, I am about convinced that I will always have a
few untidy piles or carts of books to browse. It just seems to draw the
hunter out of everyone.

Just thought I would remind everyone--we love to browse, whether it is the
Internet or a book that is not required. If we have them out and let them
catch the eye, they will be used.

Hope Taylor
Librarian
J.F.Kennedy HS