Thank you so very much for the fantastic suggestions for purchasing Christian
Fiction for high school boys.   I was going to just list authors, but had so many
good title suggestions I decided to just add all the responses.
Angie Wieneke, Librarian
Columbus East High School
Columbus, IN  47201
wienekea@bcsc.k12.in.us
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've recently purchased some books by Dee Henderson that are Christian fiction
meets Navy SEALs.  Kind of an interesting combination...a little hokey by my
standards, but they may sell! :)
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The student may like Frank Perretti. Not sure if my spelling of his last
name is correct. He writes suspense/horror for the Christian market.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank Peretti stuff, Ted Dekker, are two "heavy" authors that come to mind - go to
Focus On the Family's website and CBD - Christianbook.com for more ideas
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How young of a man?  I know that Frank Peretti has a young adult
series (The Veritas Project series) as well as adult books (This
Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness, The Prophet, etc.).
He's a great author.  Booklist also features Christian Fiction.
I'm not sure which issue it was but if you get that journal, you
also have access to the web site and can search the archives for
suggestions.  You can also go to the online Christian book
stores ([ http://www.lifewaystores.com/lwstore/dept.asp?dept=CBK
]Lifeway, [ http://www.familychristian.com/ ]Family Christian, [
http://www.parable.com/parable/ ]Parable book store,  [
http://www.cokesbury.com/ ]Cokesbury, etc.)and search for youth
fiction.
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, there is the C.S. Lewis space trilogy Perlandia.

Frank Perretti
Sigmund Brouwer
Bill Myers
Brock Thone
Michael R. Joens
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has your student read anything by Ray Blackston?  His books
are from a guy's perspective and are so funny.  I especially liked
Flabbergasted and A Delirious Summer.
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, Craig Parshall

These are three that pop into my mind. Dekker and Peretti are particularly
popular with my Christian Fiction readers.
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would ask him how he defines Christian... If he means 'born again' that would be
different titles than perhaps Taylor's Shadowmancer....or perhaps he wants Flannery
O'Connor (Roman).
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am in a middle school setting, but some of the books by these authors
may be appealing to HS kids as well.

Ted Dekker
Frank Peretti
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the C.S. Lewis space series,  Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and
That Hideous Strength?

I also liked Meyers  "Eli".

There are also some of the old classics,  "The Robe" which I read for the first
time just recently.

Frank Peretti's books are excellent, also.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The O'Malley series by Dee Henderson
Frank Peretti books
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank Peretti and Gilbert Morris might be two good ones for you to try.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Dekker's books qualify and are awesome!
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The guys in my school like the Chip Hilton sport series by Clair Bee, Anton Gansky,
Ted Dekker, Randy Alcorn also write books that guys like.
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am in a middle school, but I will offer some suggestions anyway.

Buchanan, Paul--very middle schoolish, but maybe for your lower level readers
Myers, Bill--same category as Paul Buchanan
Hutchens, Paul--another MS author
Brouwer, Sigmund--check his books out
Jenkins, John L.--adult novels
Peretti, Frank--may be your best bet for HS
Morris, Gilbert--upper grades

Hope this helps. I would appreciate a hit. We are a very conservative, Christian
community. I can use some suggestions for new fiction.
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  YOu might check out the fiction of Bodie Thoene.  Good stuff, well written.  Also
Gilbert Morris writes good historical fiction.  Han Nolan is also a Christian who
writes good stuff, although it is not so specifically Christian as the others I
listed.
  by the way, I do not have the Left Behind stuff and I am in a Christian school.
They are bad theology and bad fiction, basically an embarrassment to us Christians
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have run across a wonderful author--Ted Dekker and have read his Book of Three
(Black, Red, White) which is the story of alternate worlds and the battle between
good and evil.  I am now reading Showdown, which came out in 2006--also good vs.
evil, but talks more about God and the devil.  All his books are in my Baptist Book
store, although I got the latest at the public library and I own the series of the
Book of Three.  Good for a serious reader at 7th-8th grade level.  Some of the
concepts may be too abstract for someone younger.  My nephew devoured them in 7th
grade.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about:

<http://206.219.154.10:8080/webopac//webopac/title?searchtext=A+prayer+for+Owen+Meany+%3A+a+novel>
A prayer for Owen Meany : a novel / John Irving.
Tells the story of Owen Meany who believes he is God's instrument and his
friendship with John Wheelwright; beginning at age eleven when Owen hits a foul
ball that kills John's mother during a Little League game in 1953.

Does he enjoy the Left Behind series?
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.webrary.org/maillist/msg/1997/5/Re.YAChristianfictionforb.html

This is a direct link to a suggested list on another listserv.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We maintain a database of AR tests for schools looking for Christian literature.
You can click on the link below and do some searches by fiction/nonfiction and by
book levels and interest levels.  It may give you some good ideas.  Clicking on the
linked titles will give you information about each title.  These lists can be
printed or you can just use it online.  Use freely.

http://www.quizlistinteractive.com/christian/default.aspx
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some suggestions

Second Thief  by Ross Thrasher
Oxygen - John b. Olson
Arena - Karen Hancock
O'Malley Series - Dee Henderson
Uncommon Heroes - Dee Henderson
Cape Refuge Series - Terri Blackstock
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You might try some Frank Peretti. His Hangman's Curse and Nightmare Academy are
suspenseful thrillers with a Christian worldview.  Other choices can be found on
the Christian Book Distributors site (http://www.christianbook.com/).
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried Frank Peretti or Ted Dekker?  Monsters, battles, etc.  Dekker's
Circle Trilogy also has an element of time/space travel.  Two really good, popular
authors.
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The students in my library prefer contemporary christian literature rather
than the more old fashioned christian fiction.

For girls, I would definitely recommend:  Karen Kingsbury, Kristin Heitzman (both
easy reading), Diane Noble, Lynn Austin (harder reading but excellent authors), Ray
Blackston, Kristen Billerbeck, Hope Lyda (these three authors talk about dating),
Lori Wick, Robin Lee Hatcher (both romance), Dee Henderson (crime), Leisha Kelly
(written about the Depression time period), Melody Carlson (teenage concerns) and
Francine Rivers (contoversial topics and Christian history, especially excellent is
the "Mark of the Lion" series).

For guys, it is harder, but I would recommed:  Paul Bagdon (westerns), Ted Decker
(unusual and contemporary), Tom Morrisey (action books), Randy Alcorn (crime,
especially excellent is "Safely Home" which addresses persecution in China), Frank
Perretti (fantasy), and Angela Hunt, Robert Whitlow (both are crime).
*----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted Dekker is a great intrigue Christian writer.  I think guys would
like him.  T. Davin Bunn or Randy Alcorn are pretty good as well.
That would be my recommendation.  Good luck and have a great day!
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work at a Christian high school, so I buy a lot of Christian fiction.  I
would recommend anything by Ted Dekker.  The boys also like Frank Peretti,and there
are several great fantasy series by Stephen Lawhead.  I hope that helps.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Lawhead, Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti are all great authors.  Also
try C.S. Lewis' "Perelandra" series. Sigmund Brouwer and Randy Alcorn
too!
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank Peretti has a couple of books in the Veritas Project series that he might
enjoy.  Hangman's Curse has been made into a movie (the first one from any of
Peretti's books).  The second book is called The Nightmare Academy.  If there are
more books in the series, I'm sure they will be equally well done, but I'm not
aware of them.
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am probably late getting this to you but in case no one else said so,
Frank Peretti is a huge favorite and writes for teens and adults.  I would highly
recommend any of his books.  My teen son has most of the ones he's written and
loved them all.  If he likes baseball, try Life Lessons from Baseball by Steve
Riach with a forward by Nolan Ryan.  If he would like to try a non-fiction, Wild at
Heart by John Eldrige is aimed at men and boys but women and girls like it also.
I'm sure you probably go lots of suggestions, but if you need more, email me at the
address below.
My guys like Jake Thoene books.  For younger readers there are the Veritas Project
books by Frank Peretti (Hangman's Curse is one, Jack Cavanaugh is another good
author (older) and Mars Diaries (Series) by Sigmund Brouwer (younger).  A good
place to browse might be the Christian Book Distributor's website - www.cbd.com
Hope this helps.