I think Janet raises important issues. It's true that, as with so much
else, we face a slippery slope. But experience tells me there is a lot
more room for us all to trust our kids. If there's a legitimate purpose
to a card game in the library once in a while (math instruction, for
example), then why not? Let's go for it. The library is not separate
from "the classroom," it's an extension of it.

And what if a school library held a periodic game night, where parents,
students, teachers, and librarians could come together, in the library,
to socialize over something fun that they all had, to some extent, in
common? Might not that go some distance toward firming up an
identification of the school (and the library) with the community and
with the personal lives of our constituent families? Further, many
contemporary games are effectively interactive movies, where kids have
to make real ethical and philosophical decisions and see their
characters suffer the consequences. Not really much different from
novels, except that the outcome is not fully determined beforehand.

And what if students working on a project in a classroom or computer lab
across the building could IM you with a reference or tech help question?
It might not work. Kids with IM windows open might spend too much time
socializing. But why are we so afraid the children will "socialize" in
the library. In the professional world, my experience has been that some
of the most creative work takes place within social interaction carried
out in the broader context of a given task.

/*  Bob Hassett, Head Librarian     */
/*  Luther Jackson Middle School  */
/*  3020 Gallows Rd.                    */
/*  Falls Church, VA, 22042          */
/*  (703) 204-8133                        */