 This is what I love about this list - the deep philosophical discussions that give
us so much food
for thought.

This discussion has now evolved into one that focuses on the very core of what we
are about, which
is always good for examination because it forces us to reflect on our beliefs and
how we articulate
these in our programs practices.

But, from my observation of the discussion, there seems to be a "something" that
makes it look like
the library is a stand-alone entity rather than an integrated part of the school
community, as
though what happens there is divorced from all else that happens in the school at
the deeper
philosophical level.

For example, I believe that there is a place in the curriculum for using mobile
phones, IM, computer
games and so on because this is the technology of our world, just as my learning
was enhanced
through 16mm film and radio broadcasts, and I enhanced my teaching using video and
audio tapes. And
although I agree that by tradition we are usually at the forefront of using and
adapting
technological advances for educational purposes, I don't think it is our sole
responsibility to be
at the cutting edge all the time and indeed, arrogant to think that we are the only
ones who can.  I
also believe however, that if we are that leader then we still have a
responsibility to evaluate
what is offered and pick and choose that which is most essential to these students
at this time in
this community.  We have to be selective and reflective, To go back to my original
frog on a lilypad
analogy, understand that we don't have to catch the most flies but ensure those we
do catch are
nourishing.

In 1995, James Henri began writing about the concept an information literate school
community which
is a community of thought as well as thinkers and embraces a set of widely-shared
values and beliefs
about the nature and purpose of education; shared knowledge and understandings
about how learners
learn and about how best to create the physical, emotional and instructional
environment needed to
have all members able to achieve those desired outcomes.  It is about the
development of a culture
in which the teacher-librarian has a vital, multi-faceted role to play but, at the
end of the day,
it is just one part of a big-picture whole.

Mackenzie also uses this phrase http://www.fno.org/sept98/infolit.html but his
description focuses
on a school which is information literate whereas James sees it as being a synergy
of the words in
the phrase that  becomes a philosophy which values a set of overarching principles,
understands the
pedagogy which underpins it, knows what it wants to achieve and how to do so,  and
acknowledges its
critical contribution to student learning and achievement.  And, personally, I
think this is what we
should be working towards - this "whole" that, whilst made up of many parts, has a
clear idea of
what it looks like when it is put together.

I haven't been able to trace a complete, online version of the particular article
James wrote,
although there are many references to his work in books, so I am going to ask him
if he has a URL
for it, or how else I might be able to give you a reference for it.  I know there
will be those who
want to delve into this concept further.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School