Perhaps there is hope after all – that there are students out there who aren’t
interested in playing video games or reading Manga.  I would be thrilled if
students in my school were not interested in either of those things.   I’m not
interested in playing games and I’m not going to apologize for it.  I also think
this is not a black and white issue, which it seems to have been made in this
thread.

  Our school policy prohibits game playing, so it’s not really a problem.  I will
let students play games after school on a Friday before a holiday – as long as they
are not violent.  I haven’t seen a game yet that I could call a learning
experience.  We have Math Blaster on our computers, but students will use it, not
to learn math, but because it is a game.

  I do have some Manga, but will not use school funds to purchase it.  What I have
has been donated.  I also have graphic novels, but I purchase those as a tool to
create a bridge to reading meatier text.  I’m not sure what can be learned about
other cultures by reading Manga.  The drawings are mediocre, the dialogue vapid.  I
feel there’s an implication that if I don’t have Manga in my library, then students
aren’t going to read.  What does that say about our expectations for students?
Students will rise to whatever expectations we create for them!

  I am simply mystified by the trend to “get into” whatever kids are into.  Our
parents didn’t try to talk/dress/act like us, or buy into our pop culture.  I
wouldn’t have wanted my parents to.  I wanted them to be parents, not cool buddies.
 Of course my focus is on the kids – it’s on helping them to grow up and become
empathetic and compassionate members of society.   Who says we aren’t kid-friendly?
 There’s a difference between serving children and being doormats for children.

  I do admire all the “cutting-edge” librarians mentioned in this thread, and I
will take from them what works for me.  What doesn’t work for me is helping kids
create a fantasy world on MySpace.

  There’s also the implication that I’m not working hard enough if I don’t offer
all these “cutting-edge” technologies to kids.  I’m working very hard, thank you,
to provide a quality educational experience that I hope is rewarding and fun.  And
I think that’s possible to do without enticing them with games or IM.

  Our kids are saturated by pop culture more than ever.  I don’t feel that I need
to bring more of the same into the academic arena.  I believe I should provide an
alternate experience. I am not here to entertain, but to expand – take them out of
the world they know.  And if that makes me un-hip, well I guess I’ll just have to
deal with that.

  So my library is going to be empty if I don’t offer games or IM or MySpace?  I
think that says more about the state of our culture than it says about my abilities
as a librarian.

  Respectfully,

  Dorothy Scanlan
  Librarian