I specified Julius Caesar because that was the only Shakespeare on the Sophomore
Honors curriculum at her school.  Any Shakespeare--The Tempest, Macbeth, etc. would
have been great.  I just wanted her to have an exposure to it more than once.

It's a shame that the teacher didn't think the girls were equally worth appealing
to.  When I taught Senior GT/AP English, we read, among other things: Beowulf,
Canterbury Tales, Paradise Lost, Hamlet, and then, Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering
Heights.  I felt the girls were due something that wasn't so male focused.  I had
problems with boys who said, "Why are we reading this Chick Lit?"  I said, "It's a
classic!"

Vicki :-)

Vicki Nelson
Librarian
Odessa High School
Ector County ISD

>>> Debbie Balsam <dbalsam@cox.net> 05/08/06 12:29 PM >>>
Dear Vicki, I didn't read Julius Caesar in my Regent English class
either and that was in the 1960's.  We read 1 a year Macbeth, Hamlet,
and I think the Tempest, can't remember the third.  So not everyone
read the same literature in HS.  I remember complaining to my Sophomore
English teacher about all the male oriented books and requested a
female character for one of our novels.  He replied that they needed to
keep the male interest and the females enjoyed reading.
In HS I didn't care for Shakespeare. To hard to understand. As an adult
with our Kennedy Center play subscription, we see a Shakespeare  play
every year, usually by the Royal Shakespeare Company.  Now I enjoy the
plays.  I bring more maturity and a better sense of history to the
experience.
Debra Balsam. retired
Vienna, Va
dbalsam@cox.net