Kate, you do not tell us the level of your students in your signature so it is hard
to give you information that will help.  Like Reggie says, high school is pretty
easy, you get them at the point they want something and they will take care of it.

For the elementary and intermediate level it is harder.  Generally I used peer
pressure or teacher pressure and would give bags of candy to the first classes
totally clear in the library.  In the morning, tag on to announcements if you have
them and tell them (If you don't then just get on the PA and make your plea) about
the award.  Then as all the books come in, you can make announcements about who's
class is getting really close or any winners.  Via e-mail I would tell just the
teachers who was winning in the teacher category.

Keep if fun and light, do not let it degenerate into something bad.  One teacher
was so excited when I called to say the last book had come in and they won a bag of
candy the whole class came to get it.

Being a chocoholic, of course I would give out "Hugs and Kisses" when I called the
teacher I would ask if they had any children who couldn't have chocolate and would
have an orange or apple ready with the candy.  You can foot the bill yourself or
keep part of your budget to pay for them.  I had 30 teachers, I think I did five
bags.  That many students it is better to have multiple winners.  Because one or
two classes will clear really fast and then what is the point for the rest to get
their books in.

Jean

R. Jean Gustafson
Teacher/Librarian