Richie's Picks: OLD MOTHER BEAR by Victoria  Miles, illustrated by Molly
Bang, Chronicle, February 2007, ISBN:  0-8118-5033-1

"The old she bear had been there for three days already,  called by the cold
to ready her den for winter.  Hauling out great mounds  of earth and rock, she
dug a tunnel down into the half-frozen  mountainside.
"The grizzly dug until the sky could no longer see the tiny  tuck of her
tail.  Then she began to widen the base of the tunnel.   The den was snug, with
just enough room to twist and roll, the roof held fast by  a tangle of tree
roots.  The old she tore up great mouthfuls of bear grass  and heather and lay it
as a thick blanket barrier against the ice-cold den  floor."

Back in the days when I'd M.C. a couple of daily preschool  circle times,
we'd often "do" a few repetitions of Sleeping Bears.  You  "do" Sleeping Bears by
getting the kids to all lean over, eyes closed,  pretending to be asleep, and
then singing them a little three-chord  verse:

Sleeping bears, oh sleeping bears, oh sleeping in their  caves.
Sleeping bears, oh sleeping bears, oh sleeping in their  caves.
Please be very quiet, oh so very quiet,
If you shake them, if you wake them, they get very  mad.

At this point, the kids all spring up, bare their claws  and teeth, and give
the loudest roar they possibly can.  (This is the sort  of activity that helps
provide necessary balance to  fine-motor-based fingerplays and the sitting
still, listening  attentively circle activities.)

"She was born in a den like this one, twenty-four summers  before.  Since the
grizzly was three years old, she had made her own dens,  always in the high
ground, usually on the dark side of a mountain.   Sometimes she tunneled into a
steep forested hillside, in other years she  squeezed into a cave.

"After nine days the grizzly's den was complete.  The  tired bear curled up
and tucked her nose into her warm belly.  Overnight  her drowse deepened; her
heart-beat and breathing slowed, and her body cooled a  little.  Snow fell
heavy on the mountain.  Within a week, the only  sight that life slept below was a
thin ribbon of grey mist that threaded the  dark sky every time the old
grizzly exhaled."

Back in the days when I'd M.C. a couple of daily preschool  circle times,
there were some fun bear book read alouds, such as Pamela Allen's  BERTIE AND THE
BEAR.

Kids are into bears.  I'd not be  surprised to discover that the most popular
creatures among  American kids are bears and dinosaurs.

There are Teddy bears, Berenstain Bears, Care Bears, Yogi  Bear, and Little
Bear.

"The bees are buzzing in the tree to make some honey just for  me.
When you look under the rocks and plants and take a  glance at the fancy ants
and maybe try a few"

Baloo, whose name is derived from the Hindi word for  "bear," was my own
favorite bear character when I was  young.

And then there is, of course, the granddaddy of literary bear  characters:

" 'Hallo, Pooh,' he said.  'How's things?'
"Terrible and Sad,' said Pooh, 'because Eeyore, who is a  friend of mine, has
lost his tail.  And he's Moping about it.  So  could you very kindly tell me
how to find it for him?'
" 'Well,' said Owl, 'the customary procedure in such cases is  as follows.'
" 'What does Crustamoney Proseedcake mean?' said Pooh.   'For I am a Bear of
Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me.'
" 'It means the Thing to Do.'
" 'As long as it means that, I don't mind,' said Pooh  humbly."

That the only "real" dinosaurs kids can experience are  wired-together
dinosaur skeletons does not make dinosaurs any less popular  among children.  I
expect that the same could one day be true about  bears.

By far, the most emotional moment of my experiencing the  global warming
documentary, AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH, was the footage of a polar  bear adrift on a
piece of ice, and the realization that such bears are dying  thanks to us.

" 'He was too old to be a bear anymore,' Father said.   'He was on his last
legs'
" 'But they were the only legs he had!' we would chant, our  ritual response
-- learned by heart -- Frank, Franny, and I all  together"
--from THE HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE by John  Irving

Would you scoff at my fears that bears could soon be  extinct?  Check out the
newly released article in the journal,  Science, that warns that the world's
fisheries are currently expected  to collapse due to overfishing and pollution
by the year  2048.

Now, if you want to explain to kids what that Science  article is about, then
you should share with them Molly Bang's  COMMON GROUND: THE WATER, EARTH, AND
AIR WE SHARE (Blue Sky Press,  1997).  The world's fisheries are one of the
specific  focuses of that book.

Molly's books about such topics as solar power (MY LIGHT, Blue  Sky Press,
2004), Gulf pollution (NOBODY PARTICULAR: ONE WOMAN'S FIGHT TO SAVE  THE BAYS,
Henry Holt, 2001), and toxic waste (CHATTANOOGA SLUDGE: CLEANING TOXIC  SLUDGE
FROM CHATTANOOGA CREEK, Harcourt, 1996), have built her a reputation  as one
of the foremost environmentalists among today's children's authors and
illustrators.

In OLD MOTHER BEAR, Molly has joined with Canadian author  Victoria Miles to
craft a beautifully told and illustrated story of a mature she  bear.  We see
how, during hibernation, she bears a trio of cubs.   We see her raise them to
the age of three -- the time when they will go off  as mature animals --
before curling up in a den and returning to  become part of the earth.

While the story is based upon the scientific observations of a  bear that
lived in Canada's only grizzly bear sanctuary, which is  located in British
Columbia's Khutzeymateen Valley, the fact that  there is no trace of humans in the
story's text or illustrations gives the  story that sense that it might have
taken place recently, or it could  well have been a thousand years ago.  An
extensive afterword provides  additional factual information.

Molly Bang's soft, realistic, oil and chalk illustrations  vividly depict
everything from the miracle of tiny, closed-eyed newborns finding  their first
drink, to the old mother bear's fierce protection of the juvenile  cubs from an
enormous male grizzly intruder, to the hillside beneath which the  mother's
earthly body comes to rest.

Whether or not similar bear stories will continue to take  place in the real
world, or whether bears will go the way of dinosaurs and  passenger pigeons
(See THE RACE TO SAVE THE LORD GOD BIRD by Phillip Hoose.),  will depend upon a
realization among young people that it is up to them to  advocate for changes
in the way the Earth and its creatures are thought of and  treated.

OLD MOTHER BEAR, a lovely tale that provides an excellent  look and the
lifecycle of grizzly bears, is a great example of a  kid-friendly book, based in
real science, that will aid  in fostering awe, curiosity, respectfulness, and
activism amongst the  best and the brightest of the next generation.

Richie  Partington
_http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com