I'll blog about this later on the AASL Blog (and you need to read it at:
http://blogs.ala.org/aasl.php  ) but first, I must share the exciting
weekend.  I imagine if I had died and gone to "librarian heaven," then the
School Library Journal Summit held in Chicago this weekend would be what a
"librarian's heaven" would be like.

I was invited to attend this "mountain top" experience, which included
people like Ross Todd, David Loertscher, Blance Woolls, Joyce Valenza, Alice
Yucht, Michael Stephens, Diane Chen, and at least 190+ other wonderfully
exciting and cutting edge individuals in the world of information science,
in Chicago. Thanks to School Library Journal and the efforts of Brian Kenney
(editor), the weekend was more than a "heavenly experience" for librarians,
it was an eye-opening revival.  Throughout the weekend as I met different
people and introduced myself, the same question kept coming to my
mind...."Do you know who YOU are?!"  How exciting to finally meet some of
the greatest voices in the literature, online, and from workshops throughout
my 23 year career.  I was humbled.  These people are the outstanding
thinkers within our library profession.....the ones we read, the ones we
turn to for information, the ones who help to guide us...and they were all
in one place--- Chicago!  (And just where WAS the "Library Secret
Service"??)

As we questioned the role of the school library in a 2.0 World, we came to
some conclusions about our responsibilities and our goals as professionals.
Later, when extreme brain drain had left me, and I was able to really think
again, I felt the need to ask YOU, the wonderful reader of LM_NET, the same
question.

Do you know who YOU are?

Are you aware of your own strength?  Do you know the impact that you make?
YOU are the one who makes a difference in your school, in your community, in
your state!  YOU are the one who collaborates with the teachers; YOU are the
one who reports to the administrator what your library provides; YOU are
someone SO important in the lives of our students....but are YOU doing
enough?

I'm amazed at your ability to do the things you do, under the conditions
that you have to do them.  I'm amazed at your ideas, your commitment, your
drive.  But are you do doing enough? Are WE doing enough?

During my graduate program at the University of Oklahoma one of my
professors told our class that we did NOT deserve to be in this profession
unless we made a commitment to give BACK to the profession.  We were told
that we would be responsible for not only learning from those who have laid
the ground-work for our profession, but once we had our degrees, we would
be responsible for giving back to the profession.  We would be responsible
for participating in our professional organizations, for being a part of our
local, state, and national initiatives, and for creating professional
literature (professional writing), as well as research.  I've always
remembered that as my responsibility--- to be a FULL participant within the
profession once I graduated....to give back and to continue to work toward
the goals set to create a better program for future librarians.  I know now,
I haven't done enough.  There's a lot more to do.

Please take the time to read the AASL Blog and the School Library Journal
Summit Wiki*  *http://sljsummit.pbwiki.com/
to find out exactly what was discovered as our greatest initiatives within
the profession.  After you've read them both, ask questions and start a
dialog with others, both here and around your state.  Be aware that this is
all about YOU (and me!)

Do you know who YOU are?

~Shonda

--