I had to weigh in on the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, because no
one mentioned the art studio.  Yes, it is a small museum, but my family
spent hours there.  We have visited twice and were disappointed that our
vacation plans did not allow us to visit this past summer.

First of all, everything about the building is beautiful and carefully
planned, down to the tiles in the bathroom that have animals from Brown
Bear, Brown Bear.  The gift shop is also wonderful, and I hardly ever spend
money in gift shops.

There are three galleries, one of which is devoted to Eric Carle's work.
The other two change, so there is different art to view each time you visit.
I'm not sure why one of the comments was that there was only stuff for kids
there.  The artwork is presented as it would be in a gallery or
museum--stuff hanging on walls, a thoroughly grown-up presentation.  It was
hard to get my kids(then 3 and 6) to stop and look the first time we were
there.

The little library has the most exquisite collection of beautifully
illustrated picture books. It was hard to tear ourselves away from it.

The cafeteria is several cuts above most museum cafes.  There is an actual
chef there who also has a catering business.  (Plus, the first time we were
there, Mr. Carle was eating lunch and stopped by our table to see if we were
having a good visit!  What a photo op!)

But the best part of all is the art studio.  The studio is set up with three
areas for three age ranges: toddlers, younger children, and bigger children
through adults.  There are simple projects provided that use some of the
media you just saw in the galleries--pretty neat, huh?  Somehow it is a very
inspirational place to create art.  My husband never progressed beyond stick
figures, but he had a great time working on his art project.  Our best
souvenirs of our summer vacation were the artwork we all made at the Eric
Carle Museum.

This little museum has my vote!

(We also live near the Brandywine River Museum. which is also worth a visit.
Reading Treasure Island to your kids, then taking them to see Old Blind Pew
in N.C. Wyeth's original painting is quite a thrill.  And while you're
around Philadelphia, visit the Maurice Sendak collection at the Rosenbach
Museum and Library.)

Rebecca L. Fisher
Librarian
Carrie Downie School (K-5)