Hello all,

When weeding books you will invariably have someone come by who
questions your decisions.  My pat answer for nonfiction books is "I want
kids to be smarter when they leave the library than when they came into
it.  There books have misinformation that won't help our students."

For fiction books(People hate to see you get rid of their favorites),
"Please take the book, you have a relationship with that story that will
let you share it with students in a way that no one else does."

Both lines allow me to finish what I am doing and let the teachers know
that I am not just getting rid of books to make more room.

As a rural school district we get more than our fair share of books that
other school districts weed and send to us to "help" our collections.
My favorite was a book that I talked to my husband about when I was at
one school.  Racist information about Eskimo children, nice information
but patronizing.  My husband said he remembered reading that book when
he was in school.  The next school I went to had the same book.  I
weeded it and brought it home to him when I realized that it had been
discarded by his elementary school and sent to one in my district.

Have a great week all,

Darla

Darla Grediagin
District Librarian