I am looking for suggestions for publishers and/or series of high
interest/low vocabulary textbooks for reading/language arts, math,
science, and social studies. Many of our older students (16 -22 years)
have low comprehension levels (1st to 4th grade level), but don't want
to use the "little kid" textbooks.

Our teachers have used many of the Globe Fearon materials and liked
them. The problem we run into is that very few of these high
interest/low vocabulary materials are published in large print, braille,
and so we spend a lot of time searching the LOUIS database
(http://www.aph.org/louis/index.html) to see if any transcribing group
has put any of these materials in an alternative format. Usually you can
find bits and pieces of a textbook series done, but it is often
piecemeal and outdated. And then there is the cost...

I am going to be attending a meeting at the American Printing House for
the Blind (APH) next week (October 11-14), and one of the
recommendations I would like to make to APH is that they put at least
one of these high interest/low vocabulary textbook series in each
subject in large print and braille. Since I know there is little chance
of more than one textbook series being transcribed, I would like to have
some recommendations. So much of what we purchase ends up being what is
available in an alternative format, not necessarily what is the best out
there.

Thanks for your help.

Elizabeth Hart
Library Technical Assistant