Colleagues,

Here are some feedbacks on the satellite issue.  Thanks to all the

Although we are not a school site (we are a County Office of Education)
we provide library and audiovisual services to contracting districts.

We have 2 satellite dishes which are used almost exclusively for
distance learning for staff, and the governor's budget reports for our
business office.

We are in a very rural area, with long driving distances to institutions
of higher learning, plus our winters often dictate just how far one can
drive on a given day, so taking classes and workshops through satellite
broadcasts really works well for us.  My friends in congested urban
areas report the same thing since people there are often stymied by
gridlock, so taking courses, inservices and workshops via satellite is
very useful.

Becoming even more useful is our two-way audio-video conferencing via
high speed lines.

We had Directv installed last year.   They gave us a Tivo unit in
addition to two regular boxes.  We were responible for installing the
equipment, but they gave us the equipment and the service. I have been
recording programs for myself as well as the teachers.  The satellite is
directly hooked up to my ceiling mounted projector.  this allows us to
watch recorded programs or live shows.  We had hoped to view the shuttle
taking off last month, but they kept changing the launch time.  I
subscribe to cable in the classroom magazine www.ciconline.org for
information about upcoming cable in the classroom shows which are
commercial free.  These are really good for the middle school/high
school level.

I have had this program at 4 different schools and no one ever used it.

The school has to pay for the classes kids take and they are rarely held
in "real time" when a student could really take them.  Some of the
programs are pretty good but when you need to interact with the teacher,
it does not always work well.  IMHO and past experiences.

Through the years it's been a topic of conversation at this school.  A
dish is requested occasionally from the language teachers.  So when the
topic arises, I talk to a couple of schools in the area who have a dish
(very few) and usually find it's either not used, or needs much
attention from a person dedicated to learning and running the equipment
to tape the shows.

 When I've thrown it back into the hands of the language teachers to ask
their peers in other schools to find how they use it, I never get any

Either I need a better approach, or it's just not a useful technology.

Our satellite dish is for Channel One, who has exclusive rights to it.

We have a nice C-Ku dish right outside the library. Every year it is
home to two or three families of birds. About once a year or so I get a
request to tape something. Mostly, though, I use it as a radio when I'm
working here alone. I tune in Classic Arts Showcase and listen to the
music.

I've noticed that there is less and less on satellite that is free, so
if you don't already have the equipment I wouldn't waste the money
putting it in.

We have a nice C-Ku dish right outside the library. Every year it is
home to two or three families of birds. About once a year or so I get a
request to tape something. Mostly, though, I use it as a radio when I'm
working here alone. I tune in Classic Arts Showcase and listen to the
music.

I've noticed that there is less and less on satellite that is free, so
if you don't already have the equipment I wouldn't waste the money
putting it in.

Danville Fourie

Librarian

James Monroe High School