I understand the comments made about the length of time that schools should
hold magazines within their collections.  We certainly need to consider our
students, teachers, and the curriculum when we start to weed those items.
While it may appear that we offer these titles online through our databases,
there will most likely be students who cannot access them because they don't
have a computer at home or don't have Internet access.

In addition, while funding for databases may be sufficient at this time for
many of the states' public or school libraries, there are examples of
database funding cuts (Texas is one example in 2003) that can seriously
affect the ability of students to do research within their own school
libraries.  When this occurs, what periodical resources do you have
available for students?  Are you keeping those materials that can be used
within the curriculum for research purposes?  What is the depth of coverage
for those materials?

As we've moved forward with technology, many of us have eliminated the
microform / microfiche machines from our libraries in exchange for CD-ROM
formats.  Then we've moved beyond those to online databases.  Now, as we
consider the elimination of paper journals, we have to consider if this
format truly provides "access for all."  If students don't have online
access from home because they don't have a computer, we may not be able to
solve their online research problems; however, if we eliminate too much
(print journals), we may also eliminate ALL access within our own libraries.

I know space is tight and budgets are even tighter...but thinking ahead has
always been our forte.  Using the "what if" question regarding the
periodical collection is going to become even more important as we continue
to migrate toward an online environment.  But as we migrate, we need to make
sure that everyone is able to move with us---to maintain access to the
information--otherwise, we defeat our purposes as libraries.

Off the soapbox...

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
Technology Librarian /