IMHO: Perhaps the museum is not the kind that one visits over and over
because the collection is so small in both size and scope, but I do
think it is well worth seeing at least once. However, I will always have
a soft place in my heart for it because of what happened when I visited:

We were traveling throughout New England several years ago shopping
campuses for my high school age daughter and Amherst was on the list. I
was determined not to miss the museum if I was going to be in the same
town, so off we went first thing in the morning. We got there right when
the museum opened only to be told that the guest exhibit was open but
the main galleries (Eric Carle and Leo Lionni's work) were closed for
renovation. My face must have given away my deep disappointment because
the docent, after delivering the news, looked at me sympathetically and
asked, "Gee, how far did you come?"  "All the way from Ohio," I answered
(as mournfully as possible<grin>) and she said, "Oh, well, I guess we
could let you look around for a while." And so they unlocked the rooms
and we had the whole place to ourselves! Not only were the Carle and
Lionni illustrations wonderful to see, but the traveling exhibit was
Ashley Bryan's original papercuts for Beautiful Blackbird - quite
amazing!

And afterward, of course, I had a grand time in the gift shop picking
out some of those so-hard-to-find-elsewhere book related items.

That day shall always remain a fond memory!

Evie Kremyar, Teacher Librarian

Seton Catholic School

6923 Stow Road

Hudson, Ohio 44236