Thanks, again, to all for the help.  My original post
:

I just talked my fifth grade social studies teacher
into doing a joint research project (HOORAY!). We want
to use the Lewis & Clark expedition. Do you have any
good suggestions for a final project. We are thinking
something along the lines of a diary written by each
student which would talk about the things they saw,
where they traveled, who they met, etc. Any good
advice?

I did an internship with a librarian who created a
Lewis and Clark webquest.  You can find it online  at
Rashkis Elementary School (Chapel Hill, NC) at the
media center page. Perhaps that may spark some ideas.

http://www2.chccs.k12.nc.us/education/staff/staff.php?sectiondetailid=6285&sc_id=1175401327

……

As a matter of fact, our seventh grade social studies
classes just
concluded a week in the Library, having finished their
Lewis and Clark
project.  They are asked to write three journal
entries, one at the
beginning of the journey, one in the middle, and one
toward the conclusion of the expedition.  The journal
is written in the first person, and they are to
comment on whom and what they've seen, etc.  They must
specifically mention several animals and plants, as
well as sketching each.

To support this project, I have a cart of books on the
subject, and
have selected a few web sites that give good
information about the
expedition.

……….

My only collaboration is as enrichment so I come from
a different direction.  I spend 4-6 wks on the
project.  If you can get the book of the expedition
(Museum in a Book)  there are copies of letters
written between Jefferson and Lewis along with copies
of their supplies.  Students plan what they will take
for supplies, before hearing what they brought.
Another wk. we plot their journey on a map using an
atlas.  I also picked up a card game for them which
has all the plants, animals, natives they saw.  I then
divide up the cards and students must research their
assigned plant/animal.  L&C map comes with the game so
we know which thing they saw first.  Work on
timelines, who was in the corps, etc.

Good luck and have fun with it!  I've changed it each
of the 3yrs. that I've taught it...

……

Try a podcast.

………

There might be something here. THis is one of my
favorite sites.
http://www.42explore2.com/lewisclark.htm

I collected several sites here:
http://www.quia.com/pages/crestonlewisandclark.html

(but I haven't checked them lately)

……….

I love the journal idea!  I used to do a Marco Polo
journal when I was
a fifth grade teacher--the kids loved it.  We'd age
the covers and pages, include drawings and
"artifacts", etc. . .it was one of their favorite
projects.

………

I like the diary idea. Perhaps the students could
choose who they want to be - not necessarily L or C -
but the cook, guide, etc. Maybe this could be expanded
into an Oregon Trail like game. From the dog's point
of view?

"Librarian. Genetically predisposed to answer questions and correct misconceptions
- whether asked or not." 2 01 2007  blf

Barbara Fritz
Elementary Librarian
Bloomsburg Area School District