Hi:

I have been the district librarian for an elementary and middle school for 6 years.
This year  I have had a rash of parents wanting to replace a book instead of paying
replacement costs. We have no written policy. I have a problem with this for 2
reasons. First of all, we usually purchase library bound books, and what they are
replacing it with is not of like quality. Just yesterday, my library clerk returned
from lunch to find a damaged library bound book with the "replacement" book next to
it, a paperback. Secondly, children often pay for a lost book and later find it. At
that point we simply refund the money. If we started accepting replacement books,
we would have to keep a separate list of these students so we wouldn't refund them
money.
Our library budget is very low so I really would like to protect our collection.
Do any of you have a written policy covering this, and if so where do you have it?
(student handbook, library rules, collection development manual) I would like to
have something in place for next year so I can avoid this problem. I should add I
think I am very reasonable and it a parent found a like quality on another site
cheaper than our cost, all they have to do is let me know where it is and they can
reimburse me that amount.
Thanks for any help.
Eileen Dunnack, LMS
Woodstock Public Schools