Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions. I have a nice list to work
from thanks to this wonderful group.

Hit: Second grade read alouds

Any of the Bailey School Kids

IF your second grade teachers start students on handwriting, then I
highly
suggest Muggie Maggie by Beverly Cleary.

How about the Horrible Harry stories(Suzy Kline)? They're brief, but
one can read them in
order and share all the adventures of the boy and his classmates.

Stone Fox

Sideways School stories

Horrible Harry in Room 2B - Kline
Pirates Past Noon - Mary Pope Osborne
Chris Van Allsburg - any (for a very bright group)
Edward and the Pirates
How I Became a Pirate

Have you looked at the various editions of Jim
Trelease's Read-Aloud Handbook?
I was a 2nd grade teacher in another life, and my kids
loved The Indian in the Cupboard, Wingman (Pinkwater),
and as for picture books, they loved Big Orange Splot
and fairy tales/mythology.

Freckle Juice
The Minstral and the Dragon Pup
Minpins
George and the Dragon Word
Boxcar Children

How about Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant.
Gooseberry Park and Lady Lollipop

Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, A toughy
little Buffalo, and someone called Plastic by  Jenkins

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books by MacDonald
Herbie Jones books by Kline
Gooseberry Park by Rylant
The BFG by Dahl
Ramona Books by Cleary
Poppy, Poppy and Rye, Poppy's Return, Ereths' Birthday & Ragweed by Avi
A Ride on the Red Mare's Back by Le Guin
The Tale of Urso Brunov, Little Father of All Bears by Jacques
Catwings, Catwings Return, Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings by Le
Guin
Thunder from the Sea & Star in the Storm by Harlow
If you are interested in read alouds in picture book format, you can't
go wrong with Skippyjon Jones by Schachner, and the sequels: Skippyjon
Jones in the Doghouse, Skippyjon Jones in Mummy Trouble.  You do need
to read the first book first because it sets up the main character: a
Siamese kitten who thinks he's a Chihuahua.

Brenda Kahn
Librarian/ Webmaster
NBCT Candidate
Haworth Public School