Thanks for all the responses
I was sent two attachments if someone would like them let me know.

Sounds like you've got all the reasons you need right there, Veronica. Does
your
Supt value libraries? Do you have the results of the Colorado study et al to
share? Fire away with both barrels. If he's already made up his mind, it
won't
matter, so let him have the facts and figures.

Been there and lived through that!  Thank goodness I had a baby in
January--otherwise I don't think I could have made it.  Anyway, you need to
be
availabe to help students check out books-npt trapped behind the circ
desk--think of how many teachable moments will be missed.  Without
assistants--who will keep the collection in good repair?  Who will print and
hand out overdues?  Keeping the library closed deprives students and
teachers of
valuable resources.  Certainly it is cheaper to pay support staff than
replace
books that are lost and damaged because no one has time to properly maintain
the
collection.  What price for a child who finds a locked door when they're
just
dying for the next book in the series?

Veronica,
I am a library student in my last semester of classes.  One of my
assignments is to do an executive summary.  The topic I choose is the need
for assistants in the media center.  I have not completed this assignment
but I do have my annotated list of sources.  I will attach it to this email.
  I hope it helps.

I think everything you've listed for us to consider is a great basis to
start. Tell him that your students' quality of learning will suffer, reading
scores might dip (you never know..and testing is one they look at after
all), this is the most restrictive environment for students vs. least
restrictive environment. I know that's invoking special ed language, but
it's true. Your service to all staff and all students will suffer, books can
walk out easily when a library is unsupervised, etc.

These reasons are why I'm so glad that Oklahoma has a school law in place
regarding LMS and schools. Depending upon student population there is either
a combo of a part-time LMS and aide all the way up to the largest schools in
the state (6A) which is what we are. There are 2 full time LMS and 1 full
time library secretary in addition to student library aides every hour. The
2 of us offer full time instruction. The aides are responsible for circ, and
the secretary mends books, checks out equipment, etc.

He's trying to spread you too thin, and in so doing, he's shortchanging the
library.

Write up a detailed description of what a typical week is like. For each
day, list where you are and where each assistant is, thereby creating a
chart of the times each school library is open and available for the
students. Then, create a separate list/chart showing the minimal hours
each school library would be open without the help of your assistants.

This boggles my mind! If they do not understand the
difference between 2, 1, or 0, they sound hopeless.
Just list the things you will be able to do with 2, 1,
and 0, and the amount of access children will have to
the library with each.
And make sure they understand the things you do
BESIDES do classes and check out books. A lot of
people are under the impression that books fall out of
the sky, onto the shelf, ready to check out....

Hi Veronica,
Use the strategic planning document to outline exactly what you and your
personnel do. Can be quite confronting! Include everything. Please
recognise the copyright.

You probably have already accessed these, but if not, they could provide you
some ammunition:
http://www.nmla.org/NM_Task_Force_for_School_Library_Standards_RevMar04.pdf
and http://www.stlib.state.nm.us/files/NMStudyforDistribution.pdf .These two
are just NM.  For more studies from other states, go to
http://www.lrs.org/impact.asp .

Veronica Morris -Elementary Librarian
West Las Vegas Schools, Las Vegas, New Mexico
veronicamorris2004@hotmail.com

Download Messenger. Join the i’m Initiative. Help make a difference today.