Hello,
I appreciate all the wonderful title suggestions I have found on LM_NET in the
past, and I am looking for a book suggestion someone has used successfully for
parents and children to read together. This year we have tried a parent student
book club where a paperback is given to the student to read at home with the
parent, accompanied with suggested discussion questions. Then parents and kids come
to school for an evening or before school hour-long group discussion and
refreshments. It is very informal.

We are an elementary school of two programs--age 3-5th grade Montessori classes and
PreK-5th grade traditional classroom program. We are a Title I school in an urban
area and have a diverse population.
So far we used THE BOYS START THE WAR by Phyllis Naylor for a 4/5 group and had a
nice mixture of kids and parents attending (26 in all). It was well received, and
since then the books in the series have been off the shelves and interest has
spread to others in the classes.

Then we had a 2/3 grade group in the same format and used DONOVAN'S WORD JAR by
MonaLisa DeGross. We had about 40 show up and two discussion groups meeting
simultaneously. It also was a successful evening. For our next 2/3 group we are
thinking of PUNISHED! by David Lubar as a title.

Now we are ready for another 4/5 group and are looking for a title with wide appeal
and a bit more challenge. I welcome your suggestions and will post a HIT.

Lynn Rohrs
teacher-librarian, NBCT
Drew Model Elementary School
3500 S. 23rd St.