I feel that I need to play a little devil's advocate with some of the issues that
has been made between an assistants role and a school librarians role.  I agree
that many tasks can be performed by one of my assistants.  However, I have found
that every now and then, I will do some of those remedial tasks on purpose!
Why....because it helps me with my job.  For example, checking out and shelving
books is a great way to see what kids are reading.  If I notice that many kids seem
to be checking out vampire books, I will make a display of vampire books and
include some great literary or nonfiction titles they may not be away of.  If I
notice that a lot of kids are checking out non-fiction disease books, I can ask
them if it is for a classroom project.  If it is, I will then go to that teacher
and ask about collaborative projects we can do together (I actually had this happen
with a teacher in her first year at our school.  Now, her and I have a fully
collaborative project we do together every year).

I also do not agree that my assistants should be the ones ordering the books.  I
feel that many of my qualities and teaching experiences have enabled me to pick
quality materials that support the curriculum.  I can give a list of books to my
assistant and have her check to see if we already have them.  I can also have my
assistant fill out the purchase order or order online.  BUT, I am still the one who
decides what books and materials are purchased and what is not.  That is why we
have a collection policy.  If I sent over my collection to be analyzed, I am sure
they could make suggestions but they do not know the school's curriculum and needs
like I do.  Would this company know that the reason we have so many books over
authors is because advance english students do a 15 page research paper every year?

Just a couple of points.....

Brenda Lemon
Chapman Library Director
Chapman Kansas