I have been at my current school for two years now (going into my
third) and have advocated for flex scheduling from the very
beginning.  My first year was completely fixed, with every grade in
the rotation for their teacher's conference period.  Last year I was
taken out of the rotation for only K and 1 (but arranged for them to
come WITH their teachers once a week).

Yesterday I emailed my principal and asked if I could get an idea of
what my schedule was going to look like so I could start
planning....  Low and behold, I'm almost completely FLEX (only 3rd
grade still in conference rotation)!!!  I'm flabbergasted, but thrilled!

So my question, now, is: How do I make sure it stays this way?!  I
know, I need to make sure that teachers are coming in for point-of-
need instruction, and I've already started some ground work for
collaboration, but can anyone share some great ideas for the
BEGINNING of the school year?  I know this is going to come as a
complete shock to the teachers (as it did me) because there was no
discussion about it.  I have told them all along that this was the
best way for kids to learn information gathering skills, but didn't
really have the means to prove it long term.  Now I'm SO excited and
ready to show these teachers what it's all about, but don't want to
scare them off either.  Any advice from someone who has pioneered
Flex in their school would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicole Herron
Davis Elementary
Garland ISD