In reading the answers to the original question Kathy Reel sent, I feel that
the answers have missed the main question. To restate her question;

"I guess what I would like to know from my esteemed colleagues on this
listserv is just what is the difference between an ALA accredited degree and
a  non-ALA one besides the paperwork?? I checked the courses I took against
the ones  that an ALA institution offers, and I took the same preparatory
courses.? All I've  been able to find is that the ALA programs lean more
towards public library service.?"

So if the course work is pretty much the same, the question is WHY that
particular program is not accredited. Does the school have to do the
paperwork, pay a fee? If so, why haven't they done that? Is there truly a
difference in course work and curriculum between ALA accredited and those
that are not. If there really isn't any difference, they why the question
accredited or not?

I looked at the standards for accreditation on the ALA site, pretty general
in nature, nothing all that specific. I would like for some indication that
ALA realizes that some librarians will be working as school librarians.

Deborah Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden, Germany
deborah.stafford@t-online.de