Dear LM_Net,

In the West there are few ALA accredited library programs, but we have many
well qualified library/educational media programs that prepare master's
candidates for school library positions.  Out here school districts ask
library candidates to have an ALA accredited degree, or equivalent degree in
their job flyers (I'm not sure I've met a school administrator who even
knows what an ALA accredited degree means).  When we interview potential
library candidates we're not worried about where their degree came from, but
whether they are well-rounded librarians who have the skills to run a school
library, can teach, and who have technology skills.  Not all unqualified ALA
library programs are bad.  Many library programs can't get ALA accreditation
because of one requirement.

One of the requirements to be an ALA accredited program is the program must
be its own school within the university.  The program cannot belong to
another School (e.g., School of Education).  That's why ALA accredited
programs all start with "School of Library".  This requirement is a two-edge
sword.  A program with its own Dean, its own budget, has the freedom to
develop a program that completely focuses on its fields of study and not
have to worry about other academic programs restricting their course
offerings.

On the other hand.  Schools of library and information sciences are small
programs which cost a lot more to run per student as compared to other
schools within the university.  When universities are looking for ways to
save money they sometimes cut their ALA accredited SLIS school because of
their high costs.  The universities of Chicago and Columbia both dropped
their library schools due to cost, even though these two programs were two
of the best library programs in the country.  And many other SLIS programs
around the country come under siege every time there is a budget crisis.

In addition, many high quality library programs can't get their ALA
accreditation just because they belong to the School of Education, and
aren't their own school.   I believe ALA needs to re-think this
qualification for certification so they can recognize other library programs
who meet their high standards. I have attended both ALA and non-ALA
accredited library programs.  My master's degree included not only library
courses, but an extensive background in instructional design, technology,
and education pedagogy.  I was thoroughly prepared for my position as a
school librarian unlike many of my ALA colleagues without this training who
didn't know how to teach, couldn't mentor teachers in educational design, or
who felt AV and computer technology wasn't part of their job.

I have been fortunate to teach at three ALA accredited library programs.
The Deans at these three programs weren't worried about my non-ALA
background they wanted to know whether I had the skills to teach the courses
I was assigned to teach.  Unfortunately, this professionalism in determining
qualifications doesn't always occur in libraries across our country.  I have
seen qualified people looked down on just because their degree wasn't ALA
accredited.  Personally, even though I have taught at ALA accredited
programs, I couldn't even get a job interview with some public library
institutions because my master's degree wasn't from an ALA certified
program.  I've never had this problem when applying for a school position.

Today, if I wanted to be a school librarian I would select an ALA accredited
program that has strong ties with their School of Education, and accepts
education and technology courses as part of their program.  The ALA
accredited degree is a must if you want to move to a public, academic, or
special library in the future. The ALA accredited degree will help you be
accepted by some professionals in the field who believe the degree means
everything, and the education/technology courses will give you the edge in
finding a school library position (principals are always looking for library
professionals who are well-rounded in teaching and non-library technology).

--
Peter G. Mohn, LMS
Snohomish Freshman Campus

"You live and learn.  Or you don't live long."  -- Heinlein