I develop a consideration file from reviews of books in various
selection tools, (such as  Booklist, Library Journal, etc.).  I also
receive advanced notices of books to be published in newsletters from
various publishers and I look for reviews of them. I also peruse all the
"Best of" lists that come out each year (New York Times, Washington
Post, etc) plus the yearly book awards and include many of them in my
file.   If I need books on a certain subject I search in online book
store sites, read the reviews, choose the well-reviewed ones - then
include them in my consideration file.  When I am ready to order books,
I create a list from the consideration file and email it to my  sales
rep at our local Borders Book Store.  I specify whether I want hardback
or paperback.  He sends me back the list with prices, which includes a
25% discount on all titles.  I send him a Purchase Order and he calls me
when they are all in. We talk directly and email so if there are any
problems, I work with just one person.   I have had many years of
experience shopping directly from publishers and from jobbers and I find
this is the best way to get exactly what I need, and at a good price.
Plus, I support my local economy.  I rarely look at catalogs anymore.  I
download records for the books from OCLC.

Sharon Slaney, Librarian
Timberlake H.S. Library
5973 W. Hwy 54
P.O. Box 909