From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Amy Watkins
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:02 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] Question and Thought regarding Card Catalog

This has been on my mind for several days and now I am asking for your thoughts on
the matter.  Our district continues to use the term "card catalog" for students who
access the library resources from any library computer within many schools.  My
question/thoughts about the matter are:
  1.  Are students now even more confused?  Where are the cards?  Where is the
catalog?  This online feature doesn't resemble anything like what they associate
with the word catalog.  Are we teaching terminology to all students which does not
have an association to them?

  2.  Would it be more helpful to students to use terminology that they can
understand?  Are we isolating libraries from children & teens who are unclear about
our terms?  Card catalogs have virtually disappeared during their lifetimes unless
they go to a public library in which they are still utilized along with their
online features.

  3.  If I (we) were to change our terminology, what would be best?  When students
see an icon should it read "Library Resources" / ______(name of school) Library /
Library Books and More?  Other ideas needed!!

  4.  We use Destiny and it is so much more than the old traditional card catalog
with the customized library webpage with links to more resources.  In my mind, this
is similar to asking a teen to call an IPOD a tape recorder.  Although there are
similarities, technology has brought us so much further.

  5.  Is "cataloging" then to be considered an outdated term - in which only
librarians use?
  Thoughts please!

  Amy Watkins
  Librarian and Activities Director